What is this?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

osx-addict
Gold Member

What is this?

Post by osx-addict »

See the attached picture.. This is a setup for sale up in Oregon but I noticed it's got something that came with mine last week.. Anyone know what the white colored board is behind the SS that has two rectangular notches out of it? I've got one just like it and have no clue as to what it's used for -- nor did the prior owner of my SS.. Any ideas?
Attachments
foo.jpg
foo.jpg (7.98 KiB) Viewed 13020 times
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

The outfeed table.....
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

Ok.. One more stupid question.. How does it hook on the SS? I recall seeing some bolts on it but don't recall seeing any hardware that would attach it to the way tubes.. Anyone got a pic of it installed? Thx!
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

What is this?

Post by dusty »

Post some pictures of the back side. There are two or three different versions - Shopsmith and others.

To the best of my knowledge, they all attach somehow to the rail. They can normally be used as either infeed or outfeed. The black cutouts are clearance tracks for the miter bar. Notice that when you are using the miter gauge and you push the stock past the blade - the miter bar protrudes beyond the outfeed edge of the table thus the cutouts.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I believe that the outfeed table rests on the tubes that connect the extension tables to the main table. The outfeed table should have brackets on it that have a hole on them through which the table support tubes go.
Bill
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

osx-addict wrote: I've got one just like it and have no clue as to what it's used for -- nor did the prior owner of my SS.. Any ideas?
I had one, but sold it some time ago. I use roller tables now. When not in use, it folds down neatly on the stand and can be put out of way where it doesn't take up much room.

Tony
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

eldyfig wrote:I had one, but sold it some time ago. I use roller tables now. When not in use, it folds down neatly on the stand and can be put out of way where it doesn't take up much room.
Tony -- which one folds away and doesn't take much space -- the one this thread is about or your roller tables? Just curious... Thx
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

The 510 outfeed table that I have has 2 springloaded devices that slide into the back rail of the main worktable.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

osx-addict wrote:Tony -- which one folds away and doesn't take much space -- the one this thread is about or your roller tables? Just curious... Thx
The SS outfeed table (or rear support table). The opposite end attaches to what looks like an artist easel.

Here's a link: http://www.shopsmith.com/ssfind1.htm?item=555307
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

The table has a bracket to attack it the the rails, and you need different brackets depending on which Shopsmith model you have. I think Shopsmith now offers an option to convert the stand to a roller and the newest version comes with two tops.

I have one if you need more information.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC