Disaster when changing the poly v belt

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rdewinter
Gold Member

Disaster when changing the poly v belt

Post by rdewinter »

I just changed my poly v belt and drive belt on my SS 520. Total disaster. I had great trouble getting the poly v belt to slide over the drive assembly and seat properly on the ribbed porton of the drive assembly. I also installed a new drive belt. After getting everything installed and put together , I turned on the SS. The motot hummed but the drive shaft assembly and the idler shaft assembly would not turn. The poly v blet appears to he adjusted correctly because it deflects about 1/8" when depressed. The drive belt does appear a little loose but the could be because it is still in the high speed mode.
Help!!! What have I done wrong? What do I need to do to fix it? There appears to be little adjustment of the poly v belt. Is the only adjustment the eccentric bushing? Could it be the alignment of the motor in order for the drive belt to move the idler shaft? Do I have something installed too tight?
Any help would be appreciated.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Disaster when changing the poly v belt

Post by wa2crk »

Not to panic. Put the sanding disc on the main shaft and turn the system by hand while slowly trying to turn the speed control by hand to get the machine off the high speed setting and then try to turn it on again. If it still just hums then come back here for more instruction. In most cases changing the drive belt will require changing the High speed adjustment. DO NOT REPEATEDLY TURN THE MOTOR ON AND OFF IF IT JUST HUMS. ONCE IS ENOUGH. TOO MANY TIMES WILL BURN THE MOTOR WINDINGS.
Bill V
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

By the way, If you can would you move this post to the "Maintenance and Repair" section. You may get more responses.
Bill
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Agree it should be moved to maintenance and repair.

Is this a Shopsmith brand Poly-V Belt you installed or one from eBay etc.? I heard they can come in undersized and as much trouble as you had putting it on it could be an issue.

If it is OEM, I would sight down the headstock from the top to make sure it appears straight down not one or two teeth off from the Idler Shaft to the Drive Sleeve assembly. Usually it is almost dead center at the top for mine with very near the same grooves showing on both sides on the Drive sleeve.

Obviously mounting at sanding disk on the drive sleeve end would allow you the easiest access to see how it is tracking and turning by hand would protect the motor as well.

The new Drive Belt is full size width and old one perhaps worn down. If the speed control were adjusted sometime to compensate for wear it would have to be reset to a reference starting point.

Make sure the Quadrant is aligned correctly with the idler shaft button with the loop over it and not bent or binding.
rdewinter
Gold Member

Post by rdewinter »

I will move this thread to "Maintenance and Repair" if someone would tell me how to do that.

I mounted the sanding disk and manually turned the system and control dial to slow speed. I turned on the motor and the belts started turning but soon began to smoke. I immediately shut the motor off. Something is terribly wrong and the poly v belt is beginning to shread. I have owned this machine since it was new and the speed control was never adjusted. The poly v belt was purchased directly from SS. I'm afraid I have turned it into a very expensive boat anchor. Very bummed.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Not sure what is going on, but I suspect that the belt might not be aligned properly. Probably not an expensive fix, but you may need another belt.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I do not know of a way to 'move' this thread to the Maintenance and repair forum, but we can continue this discussion 'over there' in a thread with the same 'title'.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 10&t=16121
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange