Time to Introduce myself

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

CWD
Gold Member

Time to Introduce myself

Post by CWD »

Hello, my name is Chris.
I have been lurking for a while now. I have owned a SS for a while now, 1996 I have made a book shelf, and several small projects toys. I recently built a simple bed frame for one of my daughters. I enjoy wood turning and would like to learn how to make bowls and pens.
I have enjoyed seeing the projects others have made, hopefully one day I will be able to post something I have made.

Thank you for allowing me to become a member of this form
I really hope to learn more and maybe help someone myself.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Time to Introduce myself

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Welcome! Bunch of great free advice here!
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Welcome, Chris!

I'll let you in on a little secret. The senior members here like nothing better than helping out less-experienced woodworkers. So asking questions is the very best way to get a lively discussion going.

If you're like me and still have kids at home, it's really hard to find time to do projects AND post them at the same time. No problem. I just snap a few photos, and then post the project if and when time permits. We'd love to see any of those projects you mentioned, ancient history or not!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Welcome aboard Chris. It is always good to have new members. Most of them bring more to the forum than they realize which is what makes the forum.

I might be one of those "senior members" that Dennis spoke of but I'll be of no help to you. I am not a turner. I turn, from time to time, but only out of necessity. There is, however, no shortage of talent.

Just remember, you need to ask question. There is no other way for the forum to know what you need/want.

Again, Welcome.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Welcome aboard Chris ! This is a great place share and get ideas on woodworking and of course our mutual addiction the Shopsmith.
Paul
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Welcome, Chris~
Happy to have you with us. As you know already, by "lurking" (I dislike that term, but it is more descriptive than "reading") we are a friendly group for the most part. Only a few times do we go off on a tangent.

Pictures are the best to illustrate ideas or to define questions. Don't be shy to ask for specific help if you want.

I've turned out several projects, but still classify my self as a beginner. Just got a Penn State Catalog and it pointed out a lot of things I don't know.

There are a lot of turning clubs in the U.S. Maybe you can find one of those close to you.

Where are you located?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Allow me to add my Welcome. Like Dusty, I am a novice turner myself(that does not stop me from trying).

So you are in good hands since the most 'senior' folks have already chimed in.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Welcome. It doesn't have to be perfect to post it. Most of us will agree that few things if anything we make is perfect in our eyes. Seldom, as a matter of fact never, have I been totally satisfied with any of the craft projects I have finished.
Enjoy sharing. We enjoy viewing.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Welcome Chris.

As othere have said, don't hesitate to ask questions and share your ideas.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

CWD wrote:I enjoy wood turning and would like to learn how to make bowls and pens.

Welcome Cris. Ya might want to try to find a woodturning group close to ya. Look it up here, you'll have to zoom in on the map for the USA..
http://www.woodturner.org/?page=AAWConnectsMap
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob