? on Aligning Table to 90 degreees

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Yes replace the bolts with studs.

Here is how.
Go to Home Depot buy a 1 foot length of 3/8" "all thread" (steel rod with threads the whole length). In the Home Depots down my way it is over where they have angle iron, aluminum and steel rods. Cost under 2 dollars.
Buy 8 nuts, 8 washers that fit the all thread. Cost under 2 dollars

Go home cut the all thread into 3 inch lengths, file the cut so you have nice thread. Screw the studs into the aux table using two nuts against each other to tighten it down.

After you have the four studs fitted put one nut one washer on each and put it on the table legs, then the other washer and nut.

Total cost less than $4 amount of frustration, aggarvation and cusing saved unlimited.

Now use the top nuts to level the table to the main table and when it is all set tighten the bottom nuts to hold it in place.
Ed
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Batg4, Ed, and Ed,

THANKS!
replace the bolts with studs.
Great idea. To HD at noon, and install tonight.
Total cost less than $4 amount of frustration, aggarvation and cusing saved unlimited.
Now, that's my kind of upgrade! :D

This kind of sharing is EXACTLY what makes this forum so valuable. Shopsmith should expand this forum to include a section for SS user project pictures, project plans, jigs, and fixtures. This is absolutely invaluable.

Thanks again guys.

Hal
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Ed, Batg4, and Ed,

Very nice solution. Easy to do. And inexpensive. And best of all, it made the alignment a rewarding experience. The extension table is now DEAD ON!

Thanks again,
Hal
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Yea that is the way to go for sure. Not sure why shopsmith doesn't sell a kit for this upgrade, alot of old machines could sure use it.... now of course it would be hard to sell here because everyone just how easy it is to do....

Thanks for photo that should make it a lot clearer for those who need to know.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

? on aligning table to 90 degrees

Post by dusty »

I'm glad this worked out so well for you.; the pictures sure tell the sorry.

Now, I must learn the process of posting pictures.
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Dusty,

It's real encouraging to be making such progress in this alignment. Hopefully Santa will bring some wood to work on.
Now, I must learn the process of posting pictures.
Perhaps I can pay back some of the help you've given me. This is fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

1) Store the picture file on the internet someplace. Your internet provider may have a space reserved for you to do that. Some people over in the Woodnet forum tell me there are free services available for storing pictures on the internet. I haven't explored that possibility yet.

2) press the Image icon.

3) You get this dialog box. Type in the EXACT location of the picture and its file name.

I usually make an error in this part the first time I type it and it doesn't work. Fortunately the "Preview Post" function lets you check it out and correct the errors before finally posting your message.

When editing your message prior to posting, you'll see this kind of code in your text.
This is how the insert picture function converts your info to computer language that the bulletin board understands. This is where you can correct typos.

Hope this encourages you and others to post pictures. I want to see what everybody is making. :)

Take care,
Hal
dusty
Platinum Member

? on Aligning Table to 90 Degrees

Post by dusty »

This will be a test to see if I've learned how. If it works, this is a shot of my main table and extension table.

I expected a picture and got a URRL.
dusty
Platinum Member

? on Aligning Table to 90 degrees

Post by dusty »

The first attempt didn't work. One more time and then its back to the books!

Again I get a URRL and not the expected picture.
rdubbs
Gold Member

Post by rdubbs »

dustywoodworker wrote:...snip...

I expected a picture and got a URRL.
While we're getting off-topic here, I thought I'd take a try at troubelshooting. I'd guess that you got a link because you didn't paste a URL that pointed to a picture. It points to a page. You likely need a URL that ends with a graphics file name (an extension like .jpg or .bmp).
Rick Dubbs
2004 520 w/bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC 3300, Universal Lathe Tool Rest, Talon chuck, & Lathe Duplicator
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Hmmm...I tried it too with your info and got the same thing. Apparently AOL wants a username and password entered in order to get access to the picture.

Anybody else here use AOL but is able to post pictures ok? What's the secret?

We probably should take this back up in another section /thread. How do we do that?