Waxing the machine

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Waxing the machine

Post by ERLover »

I cant remember why, bad/busy day with mom, but car waxes have silicone in them, I cant remember why not good on machinery.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
reubenjames
Gold Member

Post by reubenjames »

Nick Engler mentions in a sawdust session something about car wax. I think he said it dried hard and was protective but not much of a lubricant. That being said, I use car wax with high carnauba content on Crokinole boards precisely because it does dry to form a hard barrier and *does* make the surface slick for the discs to slide on. Seems like it would do the same here. The chemical thing might still be a concern I guess, if that is true.
Alec S.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 and Power Pro (SN 000527)
1983 Mark V Shop Deputy (SN 163487)
1982 Mark V headstock (SN 122265)
1949 (?) 10 ER in transition to dedicated drill press (SN 18677)
11" Band Saw (Aluminum Table System upgrade) (SN 34026)
4" Jointer (SN 02-18-98)
6" Belt Sander (SN 19012)
18" Jig Saw (SN 17407)
20" Scroll Saw (SN 010593)
12" Thickness Planer (SN 10406)
Strip Sander (SN pending)
DC3300 Dust Collector (SN 102088)
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

The problem with using silicone-based wax on woodworking machinery is that some of the silicone can get rubbed off onto your workpieces. This can cause problems with finishing them. Fisheye, in particular.

That said, I used car wax on the stand of my Power Station when I was rehabbing it. I figured that my workpieces should never touch the stand, and the car wax worked great for sprucing up the paint.