#2 morse taper

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john_sweat
Bronze Member

#2 morse taper

Post by john_sweat »

does shopsmith or any one make a attachment for the head stock so it will accept a #2 morse taper there are so many good tools that have a #2 morse taper on the end of them. many mandrels
DC Ross
Gold Member

Post by DC Ross »

I don't know of anything for the headstock, but the tailstock has a #2 morse taper.
If you're looking to turn pens or the like, check out Penn State, they make a mandrel that fits the 5/8" tapered shaft of the headstock.

-dcr
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

#2 Taper

Post by paulmcohen »

Except for a vacuum chuck I have been able to find everything I need for the Shopsmith for turning. Most vendors offer 5/8" adapters but due to some trademark strange rule (that I think hurts Shopsmith) they can't say for Shopsmith so you have to ask.

I think Shopsmiths hurts themselves by not being more "open" to people doing add-ons.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

I'm not sure where you got your info, Paul, but you should review the thread on the Carter stabilizer for bandsaws. We don't place any restrictions on Carter -- and many other manufacturers -- who want to tell potential customers their products will fit our tools, provided their product is safe to use.

Back to the topic: No, John. We don't offer tapered arbors and tools (other than our lathe tailstock), nor do I know of anyone who makes a retrofit.

With all good wishes,
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

This isn't really your question, but the Morse taper to SS 5/8 that SS sells for mounting the drill chuck into the tailstock is really useful for using SS attachments on my Jet lathe, i.e. face plates, chuck, etc. I just use to Morse taper in the headstock and mount the attachments on the SS 5/8 end.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Nick wrote:I'm not sure where you got your info, Paul, but you should review the thread on the Carter stabilizer for bandsaws. We don't place any restrictions on Carter -- and many other manufacturers -- who want to tell potential customers their products will fit our tools, provided their product is safe to use.
With all good wishes,

I have heard it from 4 vendors in the two month, two who sell on eBay and two via other internet sites. One was selling in and out feed tables, one selling steel modular tool resets, one selling lathe accessories for mass production and once selling Lathe collets. All sent me email complaining about making accessories "for Shopsmith" when I asked if their products fit. Three did have produces that worked and one said they gave up. Your comment about safe implies that Shopsmith does some screening, I have to ask why? Also before Shopsmith came out with the Miter Express from Incra, I contacted Incra and asked about it and was told NO IT DOES NOT WORK and is not available, shortly after that Shopsmith announced it.

I work for a major Semiconductor manufacturer and we learned a long time ago that open standards helps us as much if not more then our competitors, and trying to keep things propritary just slows market acceptance. I have to believe that Shopsmith is one of the top lathes/table saws sold but has the fewest accessories from third parties and I have ask why.
twig/al
Gold Member

Post by twig/al »

The problem could be that a lot of vendors don't know! Most of the ones that have told me that, then tried to sell me new equipment, because they say the Shopsmith is a piece of equipment that you will never be happy with!! But, I think most of us think a little different..
Having too much fun in Alabama!!!
510 owner/user since 1996.
dusty
Platinum Member

#2 Morse Taper

Post by dusty »

I have not been a turner so my comments are not specific to lathe related tools but I own tools that I believe will serve my specific needs in the best manner possible. I can't honestly say that price is no objective because it is especially now that I am on a fixed income. But I buy more for quality than for price.

My needs have been for a shop that I could move from shop to shop and from town to town without sacrificing reliability. I have owned my Shopsmith equipment for many years and relocated it several times; I have never been seriously disappointed. Therefore, if Shopsmith endorses a particular attachment as compatible to the SS, I will probably give that tool first consideration (Incra) but definitely not exclusive consideration. Likewise, if a SS representative expresses doubt about a product, I will give that serious consideration also. I respect Shopsmith's right to not endorse certain equipment; in fact, I think it is their obligation to do so when they believe there is a reason.

Quite frankly, ebay dealers and internet dealers are not the ones I turn to for endorsements (either positive or negative). I feel that those dealers are more likely to service their own interests before they do mine. Don't take me wrong, I buy internet and ebay but when I do I feel that I am somewhat at risk and on my own. I don't expect these dealers to endorse Shopsmith.

When I buy Shopsmith, Delta, Porter Cable, Bosch, Freud, Bessey, Forrest, etc (even Craftsman) I expect quality and long term support. That is why I "Make Sawdust" the way I do, with my Shopsmith and the best supporting cast I can afford.

I love my Shopsmith but...

Post by paulmcohen »

I have a 520 with virtually every accessory Shopsmith makes and have upgraded more times then I can count. I have my machine almost 30 years but Shopsmith does not make every accessory I want (not need). I want to be able to buy accessories they don't make, like the Carter bearings or better (harder, longer) tool rests or many other accessories available for other lathes, most of which I bet sell less units then Shopsmtih but have many more third party accessories. I am not talking about cheap junk, I waited years before Shopsmith came out with better bandsaw tires that have been available for other machines for a long time. In fact if I knew the size of the tire I could have ordered them a long time ago. I F Iwant to buy a carbide bandsaw blade for other Bandsaws I go to the site, select my saw brand and model and the blade arrives. For Shopsmith I have to decide the size I need in inches and hope it fits. Same is true for carbide jointer knives. None of the vendors I am talking about sell equiptment they sell accessories but generally not for Shopsmith. Look at Woodcrafter http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=391, they have an upgraded tool rest, I would like anyone to tell me if it fits the Shopsmith. A company in England makes an almost identical one that does fit because it says "Fits Shopsmith" but the hassle of doing business with England is too much for me.
dusty
Platinum Member

#2 Morse Taper

Post by dusty »

I am a bit confused. I looked at the Woodcraft ad referenced in the previous post. It doesn't indicate compatibility to any particular lathe. Are you just skeptical or have you learned by experience that many "universally compatible" accessories don't fit our SS.:confused: