Magna Router Table

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gsmyth
Silver Member

Magna Router Table

Post by gsmyth »

Hello. new to the forum and just getting started woodworking. Inherited a Model 500 and 510 from my dad. My question is about a Magna router table I recently got my hands on. It has a solid aluminum top with grooves just like the Shopsmith tables so I'm almost certain it's from the same company that made the original Shopsmiths. I've only found 2 photos of it with Google. It's in great shape just needs a little cleaning up. I would like to attach my Dewalt 611 router to it, and it's also missing the fence. I have an older version of the Shopsmith shaper/router fence for a model 500 and it's 1986 shaper fence upgrade and wonder if I can adapt this to use on this Magna table. Any thoughts on how to attach the router and can I use the shaper fence on this?
IMG_6437-1280.JPG
IMG_6437-1280.JPG (869.84 KiB) Viewed 35926 times
IMG_6436-1280.JPG
IMG_6436-1280.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 35926 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Magna Router Table

Post by JPG »

I am gonna say the word 'magna' is strictly happenstance. No connection to SS.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

That is a much newer design then the original Magna would have produced. I just parted with my Craftsman table the looks like the same design so if you want I can find the part number from since it went to one of my sons. I actually had two of these tables at one time. The other son got that one from me about 5 years ago.

They would likely have some parts for these tables yet, maybe even the fence. Sears also sold an upgraded fence for them which I still have because I have modified it to fit another table. If you want I can get that part number too. Might even find them on ebay???

They also sold an adapter plate to fit non-craftsman routers..... I might have the number for that somewhere too. In fact I might even have the paper work for that in one of my binders.

I'd say that your table is maybe 16 years old design wise...... maybe a few years older??? But no where near Magna age.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Here is the manual for the upgraded fence:

http://vermontamerican.com/wp-content/u ... 18-pgs.pdf

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
gsmyth
Silver Member

Post by gsmyth »

Thanks Ed. I really appreciate that, especially the manual. Guess I took the looks and name for granted. I attached a photo I found of one that has the fence on it and it looks like your craftsman has a better fence but the table is the same. Hope I can find that fence and especially the drop plate you mentioned. I was going to try to fit a plate made from phenolic to attach the router from underneath, and adapt the shaper fence. Would be better if I could get the right parts. Thanks again.
Magna Router Table 12244-1.jpg
Magna Router Table 12244-1.jpg (77.25 KiB) Viewed 35876 times
Magna Router Table image0023.JPG
Magna Router Table image0023.JPG (58.93 KiB) Viewed 35876 times
hammertime
Bronze Member

Post by hammertime »

I have the same table with a couple of exceptions, mine has the name Craftsman in middle of the table and on the fence it says Craftsman Industrial Router Table, it also has a different pattern for bolt holes for mounting routers, down through the years I have misplaced my manual, now I need some pieces for it; #1. the 3 adapters for different size router bits; #2 an adapter for non-craftsman routers.
gsmyth
Silver Member

Post by gsmyth »

Thanks for the reply hammertime. This spring I'm going to see if I can get it up and running. It's in great shape, just missing the fence and adapter plate. Going to try to make one to fit my Dewalt router, and adapt the Shopsmith Shaper fence so I can use it. If I get it working I'll post photos. Hoping I can find pieces for the Craftsman router which is identical. The local Sears was no help at all.
ou812
Bronze Member

Post by ou812 »

I have the same MAGNA router table, with the fence. But where can you get either the adapter inserts used for different diameter router bits (which are 3-1/16 square and .100 thick) or some type of material to make them out of???
The hole at the bottom of the countersunk square (see picture above) that is cut into the aluminum table measures 2.796" or 71 mm in diameter....Don't even know where to start looking. ...It's necessary for a nice clean cut.
gsmyth
Silver Member

Post by gsmyth »

Hello. I bought some phenolic to make a base on the bottom to attach my Dewalt router to the underside of the table, and some Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) material to use for the top where the router bit will stick out. Figured I would drill a hole for the bit. It came in a 4 foot piece, 4 inches wide so I could make several of them for a close fit depending on the diameter size of the bit. Got both items from Woodcraft. Have not tried it yet, it will be a spring project. I'm going to try to adapt my Shopsmith shaper fence to use on it because it didn't come with a fence. Good luck with yours.
ou812
Bronze Member

Post by ou812 »

:) Thank you gsmyth very much. I think that will do it. I just didn't think about looking there. ...also bought some removable 3" double sided tape to hold it down. ...saved me a lot of time. I appreciate it.