new to shopsmith ownership

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

deathwish2

Post by deathwish2 »

woodworkerthad wrote:i was wondering if any one knew if it is coming to colorado and thanks for your info
Looks like Pueblo in late September . . .

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/trav ... gister.htm
--Mark
When it comes to woodworking and buying tools,
I always think back to my grandfathers advice on golf . . .
"it's not the arrows, it's the Indian.''
flyp51rc
Bronze Member

Post by flyp51rc »

Having taken every course that was once offered in the Shopsmith Stores, The fundamentals class was the most informative. Having never been to the traveling accademy, The best advice is to open your machine handbook and follow the instructions word for word. Everything they taught us in the classes came straight from the owners manuel. They showed a couple tricks for one set up, but in the long run we were right back in the manuel. The key is take the time to do it right, then keep it alligned. I have had my machine for almost 18 years and I still go back to the book when necessary.
flyp51rc
Bronze Member

Post by flyp51rc »

Short of going to the class, the best advice is to open the owners manuel. I have had my machine for almost 18 years. I attended the new owners class in the store, and we worked straight from the manuel. Just take it one step at a time, and it will walk you right through setting up all 5 tools, and also tell you how to keep them alligned as well. While you are at it read the maintance section also.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I also found DeCristoforo's book Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone to be excellent. I would also say go the the ShopSmith site and go to the Hands On magazines and read them.

In both of these you will find Shopsmith maintenace tips, techinques and some very useful and helpful jigs and fixtures.

Make sure you know where your fingers are at all times and measure twice and cut once. You can always shorten the board but I haven't had much luck trying to get it longer.:D
Ed
Bill-Co
Bronze Member

traveling acadamy

Post by Bill-Co »

They were just in Colorado Springs in June and in Denver on July 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. You can contact Shopsmith and they can tell you the next time they will be in Colorado. This is a very worthwhile class. You will not be sorry for taking the class. Good luck and enjoy.
tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Post by tchwrtr55 »

Go to the Shopsmith homepage, Owners Site, Education-Traveling Academy, Find an Academy Near You. You might be in luck. It lists an academy at Pueblo Sept 23-25.
jgrounds
Gold Member

Post by jgrounds »

tchwrtr55 wrote:Go to the Shopsmith homepage, Owners Site, Education-Traveling Academy, Find an Academy Near You. You might be in luck. It lists an academy at Pueblo Sept 23-25.

Here is a link mentioned:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/trav ... gister.htm

John
dickroan
Silver Member

How to start with new shopsmith machine.

Post by dickroan »

woodworkerthad wrote:what are the main problems and what do i need to do to get it up and running
Read the books and watch the tape you received with the machine......If there are none, go to http://www.shopsmith.com and sign up for the owners site or just email and ask how to copy manuals download.......dickroan
:cool:
sawdustman
Bronze Member

Post by sawdustman »

I've gone to all of the shopsmith training seminars except for the wood turning and have thoroughly enjoyed them. They were expensive for me as I always find things that I've just got to have. LOL

Sawdust man
Longview, TX
Retired and loving it:D
whiskers
Silver Member

Safety and lots of it!

Post by whiskers »

The first and most important thing you need to know about your SS is Safety. Read the Safety section of the manual. Know the Danger Zone for the various tools and just how the tools might cause you harm.

Think a move through before you start. Watching a fellow use the table saw at one of these rent-by-the-hour places almost caused my heart to stop. He just wasn't thinking ahead and nearly got hurt.

Know what to do is the machine stalls or jams (most important, don't PANIC). Stop where you are and shut the machine off while you think things through.

If you aren't using both hands at the moment, make sure the unused hand is out of the way. (For example, when using my bandsaw, the unused hand is firmly holding the table edge so I don't, without thinking, try to knock away a scrap or do something equally as stupid.)

If you switch tools make sure you adjust the speed before you attach the new tool. (If you switch from the table saw (R speed) to the bandsaw (C speed) and haven't reduced the speed before you hook up the bandsaw, you've got troubles.) I'm got a tag saying SPEED that I attach by a rubber band to my coupler when it's not being used that has saved me some upset. (Remember to take the tag off when you use the coupler.)

I'm not trying to scare you, only suggesting you have a healthy respect for your equipment. Remember it's an inanimate object and will only cut what you feed it, intentionally or accidently. (Except for flying objects like kickbacks from the table saw, but that's a scary story for another evening.)

Then:

If you're new to woodworking (making sawdust, we like to say), start out slow. Get some scraps of wood and putter around. Try out the various tools. Get a feel for the wood and how the machine operates. Go slow and read the manual for each step. If in doubt, stop the machine and think things out. For example, if a piece of wood sticks behind the saw blade, NEVER EVER try to knock it away with your hand. Instead, shut off the machine and let the blade come to a complete stop.

Let the first thing you make be several push sticks. They are one of your best friends in woodworking.

There are many more safety rules than those I've mentioned. Learn them and obey them and you'll be fine.

In summary:

Have fun playing with your new SS. Make something simple at first. Make a birdhouse. Make a toy car or boat. Make a peewee. (You can't get any simpler than that and the kids will get a big kick out of playing with something with no electronics involved.) Go slowly and carefully and you'll be pleasantly surprised to see the speed at which you learn and gain confidence.

Welcome to what will probably become one of your great joys in life.