new to shopsmith ownership

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodworkerthad
Bronze Member

new to shopsmith ownership

Post by woodworkerthad »

what are the main problems and what do i need to do to get it up and running
tchwrtr55
Gold Member

Post by tchwrtr55 »

You are wondering what to do to get up and running? Probably go to a ShopSmith traveling academy as soon as possible. It is well worth the time. I went soon after purchasing a new unit. They go through adjusting the unit from A to Z. Maintence is covered in detail and basic operation. And expect them to try to sell you some neat accessories.

Woodworking is something new to me in the last half-dozen years. Other then watching Sat afternoon woodworkers on public television and helping carpenter friends off-and-on over the years. Most of my tools are salvaged, other then the new MarkV Pro I purchased several years ago.

tchwrtr55
chettrick
Gold Member

Post by chettrick »

That's true, the traveling classes were very helpful to my wife and I. I had my first Shopsmith 20 years ago but had to get rid of it. Picked up a new last year and took the wife. She enjoyed the traveling class and she got interested in the turning part on the lathe. We ended up going back later for the turning class they offer on the road. Hands on with more information.

The only problems I have had was a bad on/off switch which Shopsmith shipped out immediately with no questions asked. Recently, I had the motor go out and even though I was 3 months out of warranty, they shipped me another at no charge and free return shipping for old one.

I am very happy with the customer service.
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Be safe and always double check the locks when you move the table or power head. The traveling academy is great in helping set/square up the machine. After that maintenance is eazy.
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

What is a bronze member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

??????????
Bellevue58
Bronze Member

Post by Bellevue58 »

A bronze member is what you get for a label on your first post. I am not sure what criteria they are using to graduate to silver, gold, etc. But I would imagine some of the regular contributors are soon to find out.

Also, I would highly recommend going to an Academy. I do not know where you live but if you are anywhere near the midwest, Mike Cobb is fantastic to have for an academy instructor!

Go for all three days and you will not regret it!
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Go to academy....

Post by chiroindixon »

My wife and I have attended all three of the travelling academies at least one. Great info and very nice folks. Getting the alignment right is key and can cause you fits until learn how to do it the easy and accurate way.

If there was one thing to tell you......NEVER Fail to perform the five point lock check EVERYTIME. I can't tell you how many times I've screwed up an operation and drove myself crazy, then DUH...see I failed to lock something. :(
dimendg
Bronze Member

Post by dimendg »

Ditto on all the above. Especaly Mike Cobb. I just finishe all 3 classes in Topeks, Kansas and recommend them to all owners if they have never attended.
wood-guy

Platinum Member

Post by wood-guy »

The "Bronze Member" title is just that... a title which is an editable text field on the USER CP tab above...
-Paul H-
Indianapolis, IN
woodworkerthad
Bronze Member

traveling academy

Post by woodworkerthad »

i was wondering if any one knew if it is coming to colorado and thanks for your info