Will mortise attachment for 10ER work on Mark 5?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

TerryJ
Bronze Member

Will mortise attachment for 10ER work on Mark 5?

Post by TerryJ »

I have opportunity to obtain mortising attachment for 10ER. Is it the same as one for the Mark V which I own? Thank you for any and all replies.
Terry from near Kansas City MO
1980 Shopsmith Mark V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Will mortise attachment for 10ER work on Mark 5?

Post by jsburger »

TerryJ wrote:I have opportunity to obtain mortising attachment for 10ER. Is it the same as one for the Mark V which I own? Thank you for any and all replies.
Terry from near Kansas City MO
1980 Shopsmith Mark V
Yes and no but mostly no. The post for the hold down fits in a hole in the 10ER fence. The early MK V 500's had the same hole in the fence but the newer 500 fence has no hole. It has a T track on the top of the fence and no hole. The 510 and 520 fences do not have a hole either. They all require the newer hold down post that has a threaded stud on the end to accept a T nut that slides into the T track on top of the fence.

The 10ER and early MK V hold down posts do not have the threaded stud. So unless you have a MK V 500 with the original fence the answer is no. You could make it work by drilling and taping a hole in the end of the rod and inserting a stud.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

".... You could make it work by drilling and taping a hole in the end of the rod and inserting a stud."

I've done this and it works but it is a challenge to do. With the proper clamping it will work, just a little hard to hold while drilling is all.

It is also possible that shopsmith sells the rod by itself, but a warning, it is likely expensive.

I have no experience and have not seen a 10 version of the system so I can not speak to other issues that might come up. If it is just the rod then it pretty much a non-issue.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A 'third party' 5/8" coupler can be used to connect the post to the quill shaft.

A tailstock arbor adapter and drill chuck will enable straight drilling in the end of the post.

That setup also allows tapping by inserting a tap in the drill chuck and manually rotating the quill shaft(extend the quill to get the tap started).

Once the tap is firmly in the post hole, it will self advance the quill, but be alert to the tail stock stuff pulling out of the tailstock socket.

A face plate on the rear shaft helps with providing sufficient torque to advance the tap.

P.S. If it is a MARK '5' none of that is necessary.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
TerryJ
Bronze Member

Post by TerryJ »

Thank you to all who replyed regarding 10ER mortising attachment for fit to later Mark V. When I upgrade to the later fence, I will drill and tap out hold down post and insert stud with drop of loc-tite. Hopefully quill diameter of 10ER is same as later Mark V.
Have been reading the forums and learning a lot. A great resource and great people. Thank you!

TerryJ from Kansas City
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

TerryJ wrote:Thank you to all who replyed regarding 10ER mortising attachment for fit to later Mark V. When I upgrade to the later fence, I will drill and tap out hold down post and insert stud with drop of loc-tite. Hopefully quill diameter of 10ER is same as later Mark V.
Have been reading the forums and learning a lot. A great resource and great people. Thank you!

TerryJ from Kansas City
Yes, the spindle is the same, 5/8", and the bearing retaining collar, where the chisel holder clamps onto), is also the same od. I use a Mk 5 lower saw guard, (same attachment point), on my 10ER and it is a perfect fit. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Chasman823
Bronze Member

Post by Chasman823 »

I am interesting in obtaining a mortising attachment for my 10ER. I don't think any of the other manufacturers will fit the 10ER as the quill diameter is only 1 3/4 in. I've been checking the other attachments. if you want to mortise with the 10ER I'm guessing you're probably going to have to use the 10ER attachment
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The current Shopsmith attachment will work. You will need the 10er rip fence for the hold down.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hopefully this will help in understanding the differences of the Mortise and Hold Down for the Model 10's and Mark series tools. First off the Model 10's and the Mark series tools all have the same Quill and Spindle diameters. The Mortise attachment made during the Model 10 production differs only in the size set and cap screws used and therefore the Allen wrench size. They came in Gray, greenie and Goldie colors to match the Tool color of the time. The Hold Down besides the color has had three versions again dependent on the set screw screw size for the first and second versions. The third version was recast differently as shown in the picture below and the current Hold Down has the threaded post with a washer and "T" nut for the "T" track in the fences. It can be used on older fences that have the mounting hole instead of the "T" track. Simply invert the post or remove the washer and "T" nut.

In the picture below are three Mortise and Hold Downs. The set on the left is from the Model 10 production era. The center set is from the Mark 5 Greenie era and the set screws and cap screw changed to use only the 5/32" Allen Wrench size. The set on the right is the current version. The Mortise is the same as the Greenie one except the color and the black protective coating added to protect the bare metal sleeve as was done with many bare metal parts beginning in 1964. For the current version, note the change in the Hold Down casting besides the "T" nut. This version of the Hold Down casting was used prior to the addition of the "T" nut. Originally this one had just the post and I purchased the new threaded post, washer and "T" nut from Shopsmith to upgrade it for use on my Mark V 520.
Model 10 - greenie and current.jpg
Model 10 - greenie and current.jpg (74.06 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
One thing to note for Model 10E users that have the early clamp on Gauge Collar on the Quill. The collar needs to be moved back on the Quill to allow the Mortise to be attached. To use the Hold Down you would need the Rear Clamp adapter for the original 10E fence or use a later version of the Model 10 fence that has the rear clamp and the Hold Down hole in it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.