Outfeed Table

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

iadk
Bronze Member

Outfeed Table

Post by iadk »

HI all!

I'm a total noob to the forum. Been a Mark V owner for about four months now. Really enjoying it. I can remember the mid eightys when my dad purchased his Mark V. First thing he made with it was a paddle for spanking us boys.

Anyway - I am in the process of building my shop - as I just started wood working. I received a router for christmas, and now need a table for it. However, I figured cutting long boards and plywood with the small table of the shopsmith would prove to be difficult.

I searched the web for ideas for an outfeed table and found one I liked, so I did my best to replicate it. Check it out:

http://imgur.com/a/VB2xT

I first did some plans in Sketch Up, but for some reason the file either didn't save or was deleted. So, when it came time to build it, I just winged it.

I may redraw the sketch up plans, as my older brother also has a Mark V. We'll see.

Anyway. Looking forward to the ride!

iadk!
Attachments
Outfeed Table
Outfeed Table
IMG_1790123.JPG (223.4 KiB) Viewed 37460 times
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Outfeed Table

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Nice! Straight forward simple design! Let us know how it works out!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Interesting approach.

I think the eye bolt needs to float(rotate) when tilting.

Not sure the beveled stick end location is coincident with the trunion pivot.

Yes do tell us how successful it is.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!!!!!!! :)
Last edited by JPG on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Welcome to the forum, and make sure your brother signs up too.

Check the table is flat when tilted, if the center of the main table and the center of your extended table are not on the same line the ends of the table with be out of alignment. Best checked at the far left and far right of the main table.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Welcome to the forum, idak.

You will become very dependent on the outfeed table. I can not imagine doing without one. I believe that yours will work fine the way it is attached. However, if when you tilt (either right or left) it binds a little, I know what your problem is. In addition to binding, if when tilted, the plane of the main table and that of the outfeed table do mot remain the same, post back here.

BOTTOM LINE: The pivot line of the main table and the point where you support the "outfeed table" with the leg must be in line.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
kkoyle
Gold Member

Post by kkoyle »

This looks like a great solution to the outfeed table problem, especially for bevel cuts with the table tilted. I was thinking about buying the Shopsmith solution (http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ttable.htm), but I like your idea with the attachment to the table adjustment post better.
For the veteran Shopsmith guys who bring wisdom to this forum, what other ideas have you seen for outfeed tables?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

kkoyle wrote:This looks like a great solution to the outfeed table problem, especially for bevel cuts with the table tilted. I was thinking about buying the Shopsmith solution (http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ttable.htm), but I like your idea with the attachment to the table adjustment post better.
For the veteran Shopsmith guys who bring wisdom to this forum, what other ideas have you seen for outfeed tables?
For as long as that table is wide enough to meet YOUR needs, I would make no changes to the overall dimensions.

One question, however.

When the OFT is coplanar with the Main Table, if you lay a straight edge across from the far (right) or far (left) corners of the combination to the opposing corners on the near side and then tilt the table, does the straight edge remain in contact with your table throughout the entire tilt.

If it does, you did a great job of "design on the fly".

If it does not then you need to decide if YOU care or not. If it does not and you care, you need to relocate where the top end of the diagonal support attaches to the lower side of the table. That attachment point needs to be precisely in-line with the center of rotation of the tilting main table (of the table trunions).
Attachments
Trunnion Center Line of Rotation.png
Trunnion Center Line of Rotation.png (20.66 KiB) Viewed 37133 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bigmoguls
Gold Member

Post by bigmoguls »

kkoyle wrote:This looks like a great solution to the outfeed table problem, especially for bevel cuts with the table tilted. I was thinking about buying the Shopsmith solution (http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ttable.htm), but I like your idea with the attachment to the table adjustment post better.
There is one significant problem with the Shopsmith solution: you cannot use extension tubes while using it.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

bigmoguls wrote:
There is one significant problem with the Shopsmith solution: you cannot use extension tubes while using it.
If you have the 505/510/520 you have to use extension tubes to mount the support table. You can use the ones provided or purchase the long versions so I guess I don't understand the above comment. Could you explain?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

You also can employ Extension Table Brackets 555997 and use your extension tables on the front or back... and with some extra tables, both at the same time. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... racket.htm

Everett
Extension Table Brackets - 555997.jpg
Extension Table Brackets - 555997.jpg (147.86 KiB) Viewed 36857 times