lathe tool holder ideas?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kb0ppy
Bronze Member

lathe tool holder

Post by kb0ppy »

I build a 12x12" tray with 1x4"s, a masinite bottom about 1/2 way up, like a drawer, cut two half 1 1/2" circles on EACH side to set on the top way tubes of the SS. I put all my lathe tools and sand paper in it while turning with the lathe, either on the left side of the head stock or under it! Works GREAT!!!!!
BILL
deanthom
Gold Member

Post by deanthom »

I actually had something like that. I used pegboard, though, so that the sawdust had someplace to go. 8)

If I were doing that one again, I'd make the holes bigger so that bigger chunks of stuff could escape, too.

The other tool caddy that I build a long time ago and have rebuilt and repaired and rebuilt again was one that could straddle the headstock and swung below the bench tubes. Two pieces of 1x stock cut in hooks to fit the tubes, and wide enough to enable a 1/2" tool to slip between two dowels and be supported by a third. I can put about 6 or seven tools in there easily, but not the smaller handled ones. The little handles mean that the tools end up below knee height. No longer convenient to grab, defeats the purpose, no? And no place to put sandpaper, extra non-chisel tools like chuck key and hex wrench. Plus dummy made 'em out of the pine that he had in hand. They've broken several times and really should be retired to the burner.
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

How about if a few of you post pictures, some of the ideas sound really exciting but a little hard to picture.

I have the Autocad/Sketchup design for the Shopsmith one that I created.

I have not built it yet because I don't think it exactly meets my needs, some ideas may help.
Attachments

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

rcoder
Gold Member

No can do

Post by rcoder »

I unziped it and tried to open it in sketchup to no avail.

Bob
deanthom
Gold Member

Post by deanthom »

Ditto. Hmmmm.Can't save it as a JPG file, can't export it into anything useful...

There are several freebie programs that will enable you to "print" to a PDF file, which most of us could then see.

One source is found at CLICK HERE.

Try that so we can see it! :)
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

rcoder wrote:I unziped it and tried to open it in sketchup to no avail.

Bob

I did it in AutoCAD and ususally have luck openning it in Sketchup. I think Autodesk has a free viewer on their site. Let me know if there is some other format I can upload it in.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

AutoCAD can output HTML (Try this)

Post by paulmcohen »

I created an HTML page and it creaded a JPG
Attachments
Chisel Holder.jpg
Chisel Holder.jpg (34.37 KiB) Viewed 23682 times
rflaherty
Silver Member

Lathe chisel rack

Post by rflaherty »

Greetings--
I made these two lathe chisel racks out of 3/4" birch plywood. One rack is for spindle gouges, and the other for bowl gouges. To prevent the racks from sliding, I place a small piece of the non-slip rubberized material that goes under throw rugs between the rack and one of the way tubes. When not turning, I store the racks on long pegboard hooks.
--Bob
Attachments
Chisel-rack-1-low sm.jpg
Chisel-rack-1-low sm.jpg (54.64 KiB) Viewed 23670 times
Chisel-rack-2-low sm.jpg
Chisel-rack-2-low sm.jpg (55.27 KiB) Viewed 23655 times
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Good idea! Thanks for the pictures.
ronhollenbeck
Bronze Member

Lathe tool holder

Post by ronhollenbeck »

Here are a few pics of my lathe tool holder. I store it in a drawer when I'm not turning.

Ron
Attachments
P1010287.JPG
P1010287.JPG (77.31 KiB) Viewed 23669 times
P1010288.JPG
P1010288.JPG (85.74 KiB) Viewed 23670 times
P1010289.JPG
P1010289.JPG (68.91 KiB) Viewed 23657 times