New Mark 7 ?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New Mark 7 ?

Post by JPG »

Let's put this stuff in context.

The shopsmith 'community' here consists of many who have been owners for decades and are quite spoiled by the support that we receive from the manufacturer.

Sadly that support is now less than we are accustomed to due to attrition(retirement) of customer support personnel.

That said, the support is still quite significant.

Now about the Power Pro. It is a far more complicated beast than the 'historical' headstock drive. It is indeed more prone to failure. It is also more expensive to repair due to that complexity(electronics etc.).

Yes it is more of a gamble than getting the reeves drive version.

However there is MUCH that one acquires when getting a Power Pro headstock/Mark 7. I cannot emphasize that too much. Actually it is an entirely different realm. So it ain't apples and apples.

Only thee can make the decision which fork in the road to take.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

I bought a new Mark 7 in 2014 and I am one of the few (<-important) that have had problems. With that said, I would buy another one, even with my bad experience, if I needed it. Like JPG alludes to, they are different with different performance (much better) function (dual tilt etc.) and problems.

All in all, don't hesitate to buy one, they are truly wonderful machines. Probably a little more expensive to maintain and repair, but you get so much more for your money.

Just my grumpy .02 :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I also am a PowerPro owner and one of the few that had a problem. Mine got fixed under warranty. I love my PowerPro and would buy another one if I had to do it again. My repair did take some time due to personnel transitions and Jim going out on medical leave. I ended up using my extra parts from the diy kit and now have a fallback belt unit if I need it.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have a few shopsmiths and two of them are powerpros.

If you do get one it might be wise to buy a used belt drive system to keep in case you have some extended down time due to issues at shopsmith. You can get a pretty good deal on them and the $200/$400 range and that is a good insurance policy. In fact getting a whole used shopsmith and having it available makes a lot of sense. Not only do you have a spare you also have another machine to use when you don't want to take down a setup or just want to keep your band saw/belt sander/or what ever spt up all the time. Or like me I like to have one set up as a drill press all the time.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JimJ
Bronze Member

Post by JimJ »

Mark 7 arrived
Mark 7 arrived
m7.jpg (72.35 KiB) Viewed 17387 times
I ordered my Mark 7 on the afternoon of Nov 6th. Received today, 2 weeks . Just wanted to share that the customer service at Shopsmith is the best.
Very good to work with.
Now to unpack.
Thank you who replied to my questions related to this thread.
JJ
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Have fun with it!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Jim,
I think you will be happy with your decision. The price difference of $450 between the Mark 7 and the Mark V 520 is partly made up in the additional accessories the Mark 7 comes with. If at any time you wish you can buy an extra standard headstock as a backup.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.