Spring Purchase

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Spooner
Gold Member

Re: Spring Purchase

Post by Spooner »

Boy that ended up being a pretty extensive list. I understand the thoughts behind saw arbors for every blade for quicker changes. Same with the sanding disks. Lift assist is a definite. Plan on doing a lot of routing so both chucks would be good. That nova g3 chuck looks sick but I don't know how much I'd us that. That might come later. Same with the Universal Tool Rest. That looks real nice too. Are there plans for an accessory shelf or a cross cut sled for the SS?

That's a good list guys (and Gals Brenda) Thanks!!!
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Spooner wrote:Boy that ended up being a pretty extensive list. I understand the thoughts behind saw arbors for every blade for quicker changes. Same with the sanding disks. Lift assist is a definite. Plan on doing a lot of routing so both chucks would be good. That nova g3 chuck looks sick but I don't know how much I'd us that. That might come later. Same with the Universal Tool Rest. That looks real nice too. Are there plans for an accessory shelf or a cross cut sled for the SS?

That's a good list guys (and Gals Brenda) Thanks!!!
SS sells a cross cut sled and two versions from Incra are available for the SS, but you can modify any cross cut sled plans to fit the SS. Mostly the sled needs to be modified for the size of the miter slots and position of the miter slots and sized for the SS table. Do a forum search and you will get a lot of different threads for both the sled and accessory shelf. Here is a link to an accessory shelf article that includes a Sketchup link. https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... lf#p243294

Before I forget, Incra's Build It System can be used on the SS. It is not listed as a possible part but according to Incra, the SS miter slider from the Miter Express will work with the system. Incra part number PM5K-700300 Aluminum Miter Bar, 18" (Shopsmith)
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

A lot depends on what project you hope to work on. I wouldn't think that just buying a bunch of stuff all at one time is the best solution unless you are really sure that you need it.

A couple of things that are already mentioned I'll mention again because I have found them really useful. The sanding disks for each grit is almost a must if you plan on using them. I have a whole wall of them, one for each grit, one for sharpening, one of the velcro versions and two of the conical disks for the two grits of often use.

I also have the drum sanders in various grits because it so easy to change between grits that way. This is not a critical as the disks since they are a lot easier to change grits on.

A lot of people love the updated casters, this is especially true if you expect to be wheeling the shopsmith around a lot.

The new quill lever that I thought I would never get but got one anyway and now love it, I think it is almost a must. Being able to switch from side to side and repositioning is something that I find I do a lot and it is so easy with the new version.

I would think twice about both the biscuit jointer and the mortising attachment. I have both and I can tell you that I use one of my hand held biscuit units 98% of the time. Yes the shopsmith unit works but it is often easier to bring the tool to the work piece then the workpiece to the tool.

The mortising setup also works but it is a lot more effort then you might expect. The effort involved is more then most people find acceptable. If you do go that way expect to see what I mean. If you plan to do a bunch of these joints I'd look for other ways.

The router setup on the shopsmith works but I find I rarely use it because it is not as refined as other ways. It is missing a bunch of features that are to numerous to even mention. The exception might be the ability to do mortises.

I personally like the oscillating sander attachment, but that might just be me. I hate sanding so what ever I can do to help that out I do.

Like others I think arbors for a good investment for time savings. I don't buy the shopsmith blades nor do I use the large hole blades. I find that the 5/8" arbors work just fine when outfitted with a decent blade. A good investment is a good blade, expect to pay but well worth it.

A dado blade is also almost a must. Again stay away from cheap ones.

And don't forget dust collection. Shopsmith is a little weak on this but plan to make sure you add money for a decent system. This will also include things like safety shields, dust masks and the like. Things that keep you safe also keep you enjoying woodworking.

Well this has gone on long enough, if I think of a few other things I mention them at a later time.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

If the Mark 7 doesn't come with them, make sure you get the 3" casters.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Quick Index quill feed handle- if that isn't included on a new system.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

now let me get this straight. SS saw blades use a different sized arbor that a typical fine woodworking saw blade?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Spooner wrote:now let me get this straight. SS saw blades use a different sized arbor that a typical fine woodworking saw blade?
The blades SS sells have a 1 14" arbor hole. Most other saw blades have a 5/8" arbor hole. However SS sells arbors for both their 1 1/4" hole blades and arbors for 5/8" hole blades. You don't have to buy SS blades but their blades are very high quality and worth what you pay for them.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

That's good to know JS... Thanks.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Here's another question. Am I to understand there is also a pin router attachment or is that just a router attachment?
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

reible wrote: I would think twice about both the biscuit jointer and the mortising attachment. I have both and I can tell you that I use one of my hand held biscuit units 98% of the time. Yes the shopsmith unit works but it is often easier to bring the tool to the work piece then the workpiece to the tool.

The mortising setup also works but it is a lot more effort then you might expect. The effort involved is more then most people find acceptable. If you do go that way expect to see what I mean. If you plan to do a bunch of these joints I'd look for other ways.

Ed
Ed I really appreciate your honesty on the biscuit cutter and the mortising rig. However I currently have a mortising rig that attaches to my Delta Drill Press and it's a little cumbersome to set up but works well. I almost wonder if this rig will fit the quill of the SS and I won't need the SS version. Does anyone know the diameter of the quill?