Inherited SS MK-V

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

MX1
Bronze Member

Inherited SS MK-V

Post by MX1 »

I just took possession of my Dad's 70's era MK-V. It was the first tool I ever remember using in the garage with my dad. It needs some TLC for sure, but I am sure I can get it up to speed again. I look forward to rebuilding and reliving the memories.

My first task was to get some hardware to secure the thing to the base.....as Dad got older things got away from him, lucky, he had not used it in about a decade. but now that I can bolt it to the legs, I can fire it up and see what I am working with.

I have found a few threads on removing rust from the Bench/way tubes, has anyone used:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum- ... /301059233

I work at HD while I am in school so it is easy to pick up.

Also a little bit about me, I am a native Texan, living in Colorado Springs after I retired from 20 years of Army service. I am married, and if I can find a way to make money brewing beer and smoking cigars...I would!

T
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Inherited SS MK-V

Post by JPG »

Acid base! :eek:

I would NOT recommend it.

Evaporust would be my choice.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Acid base! :eek:

I would NOT recommend it.

Evaporust would be my choice.

Look on the HD shelf for a new rust removal product made by loctite. Loctite may be incorrect!! S/B WD-40 rust remover?? Metal Rescue???

Ignore all that!!!!!!! http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic ... 64#p259264
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
MX1
Bronze Member

Post by MX1 »

Thanks for the insight...

T