Travelling Academies - Questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jferree
Bronze Member

Travelling Academies - Questions

Post by jferree »

Hi:

I hope I am posting this in the right area. If not, please inform me of my breech of etiquette, and I will correct it.

I am a new owner, actually, still awaiting receipt of my
shopsmith. I also purchased the bandsaw and the jointer.

Question - Fairly soon here, they will be having three academies (3
days consecutively).

02/24 Billings , MT Beginning Basics Class
02/25 Billings , MT Basics II Class
02/26 Billings , MT Beginning Lathe Turning Class

Is it worthwhile to try to take three consecutive days? Seems like
one could suffer from information overload, but then again, being
kind of remote, they not be around again for a while.

Any recommendations from anyone out there? Too much to digest?
Or? Go for it!!

Thanks in advance

jm
rcoder
Gold Member

Class

Post by rcoder »

I have been a SS user since the late 70s. I took the beginners class a long time ago. I wanted to learn better to do some turning so I took the 2nd and 3rd classes in Tucson a week ago.

I took the 2nd class for review and a look at whats new. The turning class is hands on and well worth it.

For sure take the 1st class and all three if you can afford it. Rick Davis is the instructor and knows woodworking and the SS.

Bob Coder
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I took the 2nd class in St. Louis a while back because I didn't think I would get much from the 1st one. Then I took the lathe class in my home town. Most of the guys (and gals) in both classes seemed to have been there for all three classes. I plan to take the 1st class some day to see the alignment and maintenance stuff they teach. So, like Bob said, if you can afford all three, go for it. But as a new user, definitely take the first one.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Travelling Academies

Post by roy_okc »

I bought a lightly used 1983 or 1984 SS 500 last summer. It worked fine and was in great shape but hadn't been lubed, adjusted, etc., in years. I attended all 3 of the Travelling Academies here in Oklahoma City and found them well worth the money. The first day included tuning up and lubricating the SS, a must to keep your investment running well and long, also safely operating the SS so you keep your body parts where and how they belong. The second day illustrated using a lot of the accessories, may not be as useful depending on your existing woodworking skill level. The third day, lathe, was the most fun for me, personally.

I'd highly suggest attending all 3 days if possible, but the first is a must for a new owner.

Roy
dusty
Platinum Member

Traveling Academy

Post by dusty »

jm

I just finished the same three classes and I am very satisfied. I was especially impressed by the instructor. Rick certainly knows his stuff and you will see that when you take the class.

Tell him that you have received feedback about the class from Dustywoodworker and see what he says.

Incidently, you said the class is in Billings, MT. I sure hope that the weather doesn't stop you from getting back and worth. I am originally from Billings. Graduated from high school in 56 and haven't been back but for vacations since. Don't care for the weather.

Enjoy your classes. You'll never find a better instructor.

Travelling Shopsmith Classes

Post by pj6 »

I took advantage of the three days of classes and would recommend it for new users like myself. The classes gave me a lot of confidence to try different techniques.
jferree
Bronze Member

New User - Training Acadamies

Post by jferree »

Thanks one and all for your responses.

Good to know that the users carry on an active forum here, sure I will use it a lot.

Signed up for all three (me and the spousal unit will be in attendance).

Thanks again

jf
kb0ppy
Bronze Member

Post by kb0ppy »

YES!!!!!!!! DO IT, it is worth every penny and more! The first day is mostly how to set up and maintain the SS, second is a good advanced class, but not too far advanced for most. you WILL learn a LOT, take lots of notes!
ENJOY!
BILL
rflaherty
Silver Member

Travellng academy classes

Post by rflaherty »

Hello ferree--
I agree with everybody...all three classes are excellent, and Rick is a great instructor. I had been using my Shopsmith for over 20 years, then took all three classes and learned a great deal.

By the way, Shopsmith owners seem to love to get together and share information. Since you are looking at the Billings classes, I assume you are a Montanan. I live in Bozeman and would be happy to get together with you and your spousal unit for some "hands on" sawdust-makin' information sharing to help you get started. If interested, e-mail me at flaherty@montana.edu

Best wishes!
--Bob
ricknwood
Gold Member

Post by ricknwood »

Hi ferree, I'm Rick and I will be the instructor in Billings. I think you will find all three days to your benifit. Yes, I do cover alot of information, but I feel that it is tied togeather in a way to make it easily conceptualized. Hope to see you in class. If I can help you in any further way, just let me know.
PURA VIDA, Rick