What should be in a basic woodworking toolbox?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ehbowen
Gold Member

What should be in a basic woodworking toolbox?

Post by ehbowen »

Okay, I finally have my Shopsmith. And I've got an accumulation of other hand tools for interests from auto mechanics to electrical to locksmithing. What would the members here recommend that I have on hand in the way of basic woodworking hand tools? (Primarily hand tools, but if you want to recommend a favorite must-have power tool that's fine too.) And tips for obtaining/selecting quality and not just "flash"?

It might help to know my primary interests; I bought the Shopsmith to help with home repairs and improvements. I have in mind to build some custom cabinets for bathroom and eventually kitchen and to make and install some wainscoting. Eventually I'd like to build my own replacement garage doors; probably build an exterior door (which is a weird size; couldn't find a source to order one off the shelf) as a warm-up. Down the road perhaps some picture frames and small items; possibly furniture if I develop some skill with the more immediate items.

I appreciate the advice received so far on other threads; thanks in advance for any recommendations here.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: What should be in a basic woodworking toolbox?

Post by garys »

I think you are worrying about things you don't need to be concerned about at this point. Start building the woodworkng projects you plan to do and as the projects come together, you learn what other tools you might need. Buy them as needed.
Planning for the unknown just keeps you from getting projects done now.

Different projects call for different tools, so different people will need different tools.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Good squares, measuring tape (quality, no cheap stuff), short and long levels, good set of drill bits (brad point) and Forstner bits.

Avoid the cheap , attempting tools priced so that you just can't resist. There are many Chinese (off shore) manufacturers out there that offer these.

Buy USA made goods unless you are going for absolute top of the line (planes, chisels, etc). You could easily match the cost of your Shopsmith by looking for Swiss, German and Italian cutting tools (and others).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Buy a run down house to rehab that sits 15 miles from where you live... And that is 15 miles in any direction from any town that actually has stores and 35 miles to any big box stores. Spend 6 months rewiring, re-plumbing from scratch (including well pump). All floors, walls and ceilings... Keep operating a store of your own and also grain farming and at the end of the six months you will know exactly what you want in that tool box... :D :D :D

Note: Tool one is a hammer. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:Buy a run down house to rehab that sits 15 miles from where you live... And that is 15 miles in any direction from any town that actually has stores and 35 miles to any big box stores. Spend 6 months rewiring, re-plumbing from scratch (including well pump). All floors, walls and ceilings... Keep operating a store of your own and also grain farming and at the end of the six months you will know exactly what you want in that tool box... :D :D :D

Note: Tool one is a hammer. :)

#2 is a hatchet! :D :D :D :D

Preferably one with a hammer head on the back end.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

A good pencil sharpener and a stock pile of pencils ? a good light that is portable on a stand and can be moved around as needed ? a vacuum sweeper ? a good broom and dust pan ? a heavy ext cord ? a rubber pad to stand on for those periods of time standing on your feet ? a good set of calipers for setting up dado heads and laying out lines ? several size rulers and straight edges ? hand tools ? clamps clamps and more clamps of different size ,a good router plane will save you time on things that take a lot of time to set up on a table saw or router or are small and dangerous to run through power tools ,, and a good set of sharp knives, like the exacto hobby knife sets ? the list goes on and on and on ? much more depending on what you will be building ? and a lot of PPE
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

A good square or combination square.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

For some of the projects you are planning I think a router is highly desirable add on power tool. Preferably with a router table, which can be its own project. This 'need' depends quite a bit on your style, for example it is not very necessary for that rustic look. And there is always room for discussion that the Shopsmith has some shaper/router capability. But I wouldn't be without one.

- David
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I'd add a hand plane (#4 or #5), a card scraper, a chisel or two.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

An extra long 5/32" allen wrench. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange