Build a sauna

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

HeathMajors
Bronze Member

Build a sauna

Post by HeathMajors »

I'm pretty set on an outdoor sauna, it would be good use of the space I have left and I've always been of fan of saunas. Why spend money at the spa, where I go occasionally anyway cause there's no time, and since the corona fluke, there's no way I'd go either, when I could sweat in my own. The question is, do you guys have any ok blueprints on how to make a sauna? Or is it better to just order a kit and put it together when it arrives. What do you suggest?
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Build a sauna

Post by edma194 »

The small outdoor saunas I've seen are just sheds made out of cedar. Seems like any set of plans would be as good as another for that kind of thing. If you want something fancier a website about saunas might be a better place to look.

You are putting ideas in my head but I'm not sure there's room for any more of those right now ;).
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

If I want a sauna this time of year, here in Ohio all I have to do is step outdoors! :eek: :rolleyes: :D
HeathMajors
Bronze Member

Post by HeathMajors »

I did look into a few specilaty review websites too, must say I'm more tempted on actually buying one than making it. If you don't want one that's huge, these aren't all that costly. But I did find some plans online too, seem pretty easy. I'll see tomorrow what my tasks are at work I guess. If time won't be a problem, I'll make one. If the next few weeks don't seem to be as crowded as the past ones, I'll just order a sauna and get it done with, I'm really not patient, seriously want to sweat my fat, toxins, and stress out. :D I'll leave the resources I found here, maybe it'll help someone else too.
https://www.optimainstitute.com/sauna/outdoor.html
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/build ... foundation
https://1859oregonmagazine.com/live/hom ... oor-sauna/
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

I'm sure I'd opt for a kit.
megank
Silver Member

Post by megank »

Buying one should be better than creating one on your own. It's quick, doesn't require much technicalities and is durable. Since building a sauna isn't something very intricate, buying something off the shelf is better.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

just a few things to consider , how big ? one person ? or more ? Would this be something you will use in the winter ? and how elaborate would you want it ? will the heat source be electric or from other sources ? I thought about building one from landscape timbers to resemble a cabin but didn't want the treated wood around me, teak and or locust makes a good wood for the seats and interior walls as well as cedar and may last longer however it is by no means inexpensive , at one time you could get the heating elements with the lava rock and a water bucket all in one but they again were not cheap .if this will be outside the better insulated it is the less fuel it will use in the winter . at one time there was a kit you could buy that allowed the install in the bathroom or extra closet or basement in you home , They might still be a kit out there ? if it is inside the home be sure to use the proper building materials and water proof drywall behind the stall walls along with electrical protection for any outlets ,lights and controls ? if you live in town wood may not be a option for the heat source ? you may have visitors every time you light the fire lol , good luck .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
FalakCobb
Bronze Member

Post by FalakCobb »

Outdoor sauna price ranges between $2,500 to $7,000. Indoor sauna cost starts at about $3,000. Still, it can quickly reach up to $9,000 or more, depending on whether structural modifications need to be made.
KayBur
Silver Member

Post by KayBur »

In the construction of a sauna, it is difficult not so much to find a project, but to find high-quality wood and properly process it so that it does not become saturated with moisture and does not become covered with fungus, so that it can be washed with detergents. Well, or you need to look for a sauna project in which the surfaces inside will be covered with tiles.