Extrusion fence for Mark V Rip Fence Extension

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shoedo
Gold Member

Extrusion fence for Mark V Rip Fence Extension

Post by shoedo »

I purchased a 520 rip fence on the secondary market. The locking mechanism was faulty and one of the locks snapped off. I used some JB Weld to secure it which seems to work for now. I expect it would snap off again with repeated use. I am looking at buying a new 520 fence and using my existing fence minus the locking mechanism as an extrusion fence. Is this the same fence that Shopsmith sells as an extension fence minus the locking mechanism.
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Extrusion fence for Mark V Rip Fence Extension

Post by DLB »

I can't directly answer your question, I have a SS fence extension but it looks nothing like this. From looking at the picture, it must be the same extrusion as the 520 fence. It even has the cutaway and holes for mounting the outfeed end clamp, which it clearly does not have and would have no use for.
fence_ext_saw_l.jpg
fence_ext_saw_l.jpg (98.39 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
A fence extension with less complicated mounting might be easier to make than this one. It is not completely clear how the SS version of this mounts other than the T-nuts, though I'm sure someone here can tell you. It involves standoffs and some "reverse thread" parts, so I think you tighten it from the gap between the fences. And end-to end extension with T-nuts? That sounds flimsy and looks crooked in the picture.
fence_ext_drilling_l.jpg
fence_ext_drilling_l.jpg (76.7 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
Consider repairing your fence with new parts instead. 520 fences seem to command a good price on eBay, and there are occasions when having more than one is useful.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Extrusion fence for Mark V Rip Fence Extension

Post by dusty »

Yes, it is the same extrusion but using it for this purpose would not be my choice. However, since you are likely to have one by default...why not.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.