Trunnion lock nut on belt sander

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

flackbait
Silver Member

Trunnion lock nut on belt sander

Post by flackbait »

Hello,

The trunnion lock nut allows for "infinite" adjustment of the belt sander between vertical and horizontal settings. The through bolt and nut fixes the sander either in horizontal or vertical positions. I have removed the through bolt and nut to position the sander at a more comfortable angle. I cannot tighten the trunnion lock sufficiently to maintain it at the desired angle. It slips to the horizontal position when the sanding piece touches the belt. The Allen wrench is used like a spoke pole in a ship's windlass to tighten, but I'm afraid of bending the Alllen wrench. Should I use a T Allen wrench instead of the L style wrench? Is this infinite adjustment "feature" to be avoided and just settle for vertical or horizontal?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Trunnion lock nut on belt sander

Post by chapmanruss »

I have found it can be difficult to tighten the Belt Sander in position. When tightening the Trunnion Lock Nut (P/N 502989) make sure the Lock Nut (P/N 502698) on the other end of the Trunnion Stud (P/N 502974) is not turning too. If it is you need to hold it with a socket wrench while locking the Trunnion Lock Nut. The Allen Wrench type won't matter since you are using it as a lever to tighten the Trunnion Lock Nut.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The belt sander needs to have the bolt in place to hold it. There are two holes for it and that is how you get the full range.
bsb1.jpg
bsb1.jpg (103.41 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
bsb2.jpg
bsb2.jpg (126.54 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
bsb3.jpg
bsb3.jpg (129.32 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
Your bolt might look different, mine is a replacement. The combination of wing nut and the other nut is more then enough to hold it in place without any strong person tactics.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
flackbait
Silver Member

Post by flackbait »

The nut does not turn.
Attachments
20201006_171246.jpg
20201006_171246.jpg (389.28 KiB) Viewed 1962 times