Homemade Shopsmith drumsander using a cardboard drum

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Homemade Shopsmith drumsander using a cardboard drum

Post by edma194 »

reible wrote:This post might be worth checking out even if the end product is quite different. It involves making a drum out of PVC and how I got it round etc.

Ed
Nice surface sander! That's what I call them to differentiate between the under the drum type that I call thickness sanders. The PowerPro conspiracy subplot was entertaining also, and I noticed an old type WorkMate in one of the photos. I have one that is over 40 years old, and unfortunately on it's last legs. A modern version I got is a lame substitute.

I think I'd want that kind of sander more than the other kind. There's no real board width limitations and you can sand any size object as long as it fits between your table and the ceiling.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Homemade Shopsmith drumsander using a cardboard drum

Post by rpd »

edma194 wrote:
reible wrote:This post might be worth checking out even if the end product is quite different. It involves making a drum out of PVC and how I got it round etc.

Ed
Nice surface sander! That's what I call them to differentiate between the under the drum type that I call thickness sanders. The PowerPro conspiracy subplot was entertaining also, and I noticed an old type WorkMate in one of the photos. I have one that is over 40 years old, and unfortunately on it's last legs. A modern version I got is a lame substitute.

I think I'd want that kind of sander more than the other kind. There's no real board width limitations and you can sand any size object as long as it fits between your table and the ceiling.
I have an 18" V-Drum sander that I made to fit on my 10ER from a kit that I got from Stockroom Supply (they invented this style of sander)
I use it quite often and it works great, I even used it to level the feet on a stool that I made.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... p?p=165200

Back in July I picked up this 24" x 4" V-Drum kit at the local ReStore for $20 CDN. :D Not bad for a $300 CDN kit.
New in box, the only things missing are the manual, which I can get online, and the two rolls of sandpaper.
Now I just need to make the box and top to fit it in.
v-drum.jpg
v-drum.jpg (621.21 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,