SS V bandsaw eccentric tubes coming up short.

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

flackbait
Silver Member

SS V bandsaw eccentric tubes coming up short.

Post by flackbait »

After many years of gather dust, getting SS 5 up and running.

Years ago, Shopsmith sent me a collection of eccentric tubes and told me to 86 the straight tubes.

I did the horizontal adjustment and tightened the hand accessory lock.The eccentric "long" end of the tubes slide all the way into the BS and bottoms out on the casting "ears". While doing the vertical alignment, the tubes pull out of the casting about half an inch. Is this correct? The "rocking" issue was handled by the hand lock. Is the BS casting strong enough to handle the lack of total engagement with the tubes?
flackbait
Silver Member

Re: SS V bandsaw eccentric tubes coming up short.

Post by flackbait »

20201015_113809.jpg
20201015_113809.jpg (347.61 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

From the picture it looks like it should be okay to use that way. It is still in the upper guide for the post.

I just went out and removed a post from one of my Band Saws to measure it. It is 4-5/16" from the eccentric to the top of the post. It is not a Band Saw aligned to any Mark V or Mark 7 for use. Putting it on my Mark 7 it's alignment is within an 1/8" sitting with the tubes all the way to the casting stop. Aligned it would not have the top of the post touching the stop but not nearly as low as yours.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

That looks fairly typical for the eccentric tube to me. The eccentric is shorter on both ends compared to the old straight tubes. If you look you'll find it doesn't engage the full headrest casting either. I went through a bandsaw wobble phase, but I attributed very little of the wobble to this particular aspect of the eccentrics. I prefer the straight tube mounts for the bandsaw only, but I know I'm in the minority on that one.

- David
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Not all eccentric tubes are the same length as all other eccentric tubes. In addition, some eccentric tubes have one end that's longer than the other. Make sure these are intended for the band saw and installed correctly. I'm sure the manual is somewhere on the Shopsmith site or posted here on the forum.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

In the picture posted with this thread, the eccentric tube does not appear to be inserte4d correctly. It should engage the mechanic stop and it does not. The eccentric is either not inserted properly or is too low. Search the forum for "bandsaw eccentric". You will find that this has been debated before.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
flackbait
Silver Member

Post by flackbait »

I do have a pair of eccentrics with a long end. I tried that and the BS is way to high right off the bat. I am guessing that these were for a stand alone mount
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

flackbait wrote:I do have a pair of eccentrics with a long end. I tried that and the BS is way to high right off the bat. I am guessing that these were for a stand alone mount
It appears as though I misspoke regarding eccentric tube lengths in the bandsaw. I was going to provide exact measurements, and will, but I can not do it right now. I went out to look and my two bandsaws and it appears that the tubes are not as long as I thought they were. I would estimate that the tubes themselves are about 2" on one side and about 3" on the other. The longer ends goes up into the bandsaw.

Short End = 2 1/8"

Long Side = 4 1/4" (Long Side up into the bandsaw casting)
Bandsaw Eccentrics  1978
Bandsaw Eccentrics 1978
20201016_085003.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 2143 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have encountered this in the past and consider the tubes to be shorter than reasonable
However with the eccentric tubes having a fixed lower vertical stop, some slop at the top is necessary.

Yes I think the straight tubes are a more stable mount but do not provide for lateral alignment adjustment.

If one is concerned re the tube bottoming out against the stop, spacers can be inserted between the offset and the mount(washers and hot melt glue???). However that reduces the bottom engagement.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
flackbait
Silver Member

Post by flackbait »

I measured mine and I get roughly 4,25" on the tube that goes into the BS. I have a "long" eccentric and it is roughly 6 5/8" long/
20201016_102329.jpg
20201016_102329.jpg (372.72 KiB) Viewed 2135 times