Saw Blade Arbor Options

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DocSurg
Silver Member

Saw Blade Arbor Options

Post by DocSurg »

Total newbie question -- when I purchased my used 520, it came with one blade attached to the arbor on the right in the picture, which if I am reading other entries correctly is the model 555321. Three other arbors came with the unit, like the one on the left, which should be model 55608. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using either one? I find it nearly impossible to use the lower saw guard with the one with a shorter waist -- 55608. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0169.jpeg
IMG_0169.jpeg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 2898 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Saw Blade Arbor Options

Post by chapmanruss »

Arbors, Arbors and more Arbors. There is some confusion about Arbors and which ones to use. Most are useable for all Shopsmith Mark series tools and even the older Model 10's. There are a few specific Arbors that are for specific Mark V models and the Mark 7. The two you show in the picture above are for the Mark V with the larger table systems of the 510, 505, 520 and the Mark 7. They are 555608 Mark V 510/520 5/8” Saw Arbor as shown on the left in your picture above and 555130 Mark V 510/520 1 ¼” Saw Arbor shown on the right. 555118 5/8” Saw Arbor - for Model 510 only was replaced by 555608 before Model 520 release and you will see that one around from time to time. These Arbors for the 510, 505, 520 and Mark 7 are longer and needed clear the Lower Saw Blade Guard on these models. Other Arbors except the Saw Blade Arbors for the original Mark 5/V table system and Lower Blade Guards can be used on any Mark series tool. The following two PDF's have additional information on Arbors.
Shopsmith Arbor Picture.pdf
(195.67 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
Shopsmith Arbors 04-20.pdf
(135.95 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DocSurg
Silver Member

Post by DocSurg »

Thank you --- my boneheadedness got in the way of recognizing the different arbor sizes! Appreciate the info
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Don't feel bad about the Arbors. As you can see from the picture there have been many Arbors over the years used for different reasons. Early on they were a more universal Arbor but later became more specific to a task. The picture in the PDF only shows most of the Arbors and none of the Spindles or Router Chucks so there is a lot to know about them.

Another thing to go along with the Arbors and items needed for specific models is the Sanding Disk. With the introduction of the larger table system of the Mark V 510 and 505 followed by the 520 and the Mark 7 the Lower Saw Blade Guard was designed to be used for dust collection and needs a longer hub than the original steel Sanding Disks have or the early aluminum Sanding Disks either of which cannot be used with that lower guard for dust collection.