Shopsmith Model 10ER

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SteveBennett
Bronze Member

Shopsmith Model 10ER

Post by SteveBennett »

While cleaning out my dad's garage, I found a shopsmith model 10er lathe. I've been looking at getting into turning for a while so I brought the lathe home. The lathe seems to be in good working order but I need to buy a faceplate and vise for bowls. What size should I be looking for?
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Model 10ER

Post by rpd »

So, you will need a drive center (A) to go on the spindle, and a dead center (B) or, preferably, a live center (C) for the tailstock.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... enters.htm
Check the box of misc. parts :) these were standard equipment so you likely have them somewhere.

Then you will need faceplate(s)
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... plates.htm

You don't need a chuck to get started. Chucks are a fairly recent innovation. people turned bowls for a long time before they were invented.

There are lots of good turning videos on YouTube.
I like Lyle Jamieson in particular https://www.youtube.com/user/JamiesonLyle/videos
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Model 10ER

Post by chapmanruss »

Steve Bennett,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. Ron has already sent you in the right direction to get started. A couple things to know. The Shopsmith Model 10ER was made from 1949 through 1953 with the Model 10E starting in 1947. Your Shopsmith has some things in common with todays new Shopsmith, the Mark V 520 and the Mark 7. All Shopsmith Model 10's and Mark series tools have the same size 5/8" reverse tapered spindle for attaching Arbors, Spindles, Chucks and Drives to. The Quill diameter is the same too. With that said you can use a Lathe Drive that originally came with your Model 10ER or if missing can use a brand new one. The Tailstock for all Model 10's and Mark series tools have a #2 Morse taper as well. This is a common size used for lathes. Do keep in mind the Shopsmith has a 5/8" spindle drive. You must have a Drive with that 5/8" bore. Companies making Lathe Chucks like Nova also have adapters available for use on a Shopsmith. I have a Nova Chuck myself. As Ron said these are not needed to turn bowls or other larger diameter items. A Face Plate will work fine and would be a good way to start. You may already have either or both the 3-3/4" or 6" Shopsmith Lathe Faceplates.

Another thing that would be handy is a copy of the Owner's Manual for operation and maintenance. If you do not have one it can be found under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. A PDF of the 10ER Owner's Manual and a PDF copy of the book Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone can be found on his google drive. Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone has a lot of great information on using the Shopsmith and that PDF version is the first edition featuring the Model 10ER. The PDF below is a supplement to the Owner's Manual on maintenance as it is no longer recommended to use a "light" coat of oil to lubricate and protect bare metal surfaces.
Waxing Supplement Model 10s.pdf
(226.53 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.