Ripping Thick Material (Butcherblock Countertop)

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Ripping Thick Material (Butcherblock Countertop)

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have found my SS will cut through any wood no matter how thick if they do not exceed full depth of cut. Once you go to thicker wood trying to cut wood so thick that the saw blade is buried you will have more problems.
I have cut ironwood, said to be the hardest wood, the wood used years ago to build piers in Tampa Bay. When they tore down one of the piers they gave away the wood. It was dangerous to cut as both splinters and dust was said to be poisonous. Never had a problem but the wood would not take any fastener unless first drilled and no glue would hold it unless it was construction glue that looked like you used caulk.

All that said the best way to cut your counter top would be with a circular using a track or hand built fixture that duplicates a track. Trying to keep 8 ft straight is possible but not worth the effort or the chance of going bad.
If nothing else go to a cabinet shop and have them cut it, the ones around here will use a track saw or very expensive panel saws.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I wood think that wood be a better way to cut it.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hmmm Two posters new to the forum within the same week post exactly the same words to the same thread within a few minutes. Might these guys be spammer? Not too smart if they are.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I guess they are/were since they are gone now.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT