Just bought Shopsmith Mark V 520

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

KingofCamelot
Bronze Member

Just bought Shopsmith Mark V 520

Post by KingofCamelot »

I just bought a Shopsmith Mark V 520 and I am new to this product and other then reading some things online about this tool, I know nothing about it. I love woodworking and will be building a new 900sqft workshop in Spring. The guy told me that this unit included the hard to find top of the line 520 table and fence system. The guy I bought it from included these items below. Can any of you look this list over and give me your thoughts? I am also interested in buying a used bandsaw for it. The seller did say that the drill press will come down fine but its very hard to get it to go back up. It also came with the original manual.

Mark V with 1-1/8HP motor, 5-in-1 woodworking tool system acts as:
10" Tablesaw
16"x34" Lathe
12" Disc Sander
Vertical Drill Press
Horizontal Boring Machine

Included:
Shopsmith Mark V with wheeled base.
520 Table system with main table, 1 adjustable table, 2 floating tables, 4 connecting tubes and 2 adjustable support legs
520 "Pro" dual-lock fence with push block
Lower saw blade guard with dust port, upper saw blade guard with riving knife and anti-kickback pawls
5/8" saw arbor and 1-1/4" saw arbor
12" sanding disc
Lathe tailstock with live center
Upgraded lathe toolpost holder with quick adjust levers and two tool rests.
1/2" Drill chuck
4" Jointer add-on with power coupler and pushblocks.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Just bought Shopsmith Mark V 520

Post by garys »

It looks like a great setup. Depending on where you live, you might find a bandsaw locally. Some areas of the US have them come up for sale often, and other areas seldom see them available. Start locally and widen your area of search if you need to.

You don't list the lathe chisels. You might have them there or if not, you can get some later.

I recommend starting using the Shopsmith on projects before buying anything else. Once you determine your actual needs, you know what you should buy. Unless you are a "tool collector", you don't need every tool ever made. Buy only what you need for your projects.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Welcome and congratulations on your new machine. In addition to what garys already suggested and said, a few more thoughts.

Not sure that the 520 system is all that rare ... it is more $$$ than a 510, 505, 500, or older models, but it is still made. True, I don't see as many used 520s come up for sale as other models.

For getting to the drill press mode, the closer you can get the headstock to the right end before tilting it up, the easier it will be to lift. And, if you need more help, Shopsmith does offer a lift assist.

And as a new owner and new to Shopsmith, explore all of the wonderful advice here, particularly the first few posts in the Maintenance and Repair Forum (the "stickies") for more info on how to clean, adjust, calibrate, maintain, etc.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Was starting to mention the lathe chisels but I see garys caught that. Maybe you forgot to list them. Shopsmith bandsaws are so common around here I've ended up with 3 of them.

There are two versions of the bandsaw table, the older, smaller cast iron tables and a new, larger, aluminum table. In this thread about the new and old style tables many people are just fine with the older tables, and used bandsaws with the older tables cost less.

Do you have the double-tilt base? Not sure if yours was originally a 520 or upgraded from an older single tilt machine.

Not sure what you meant about hard to get back up in Drill Press mode unless you just mean that it's heavy. There is a lift assist device available. You try to move the headstock as close to the pivot end as you can to make it easier to raise up, but then it's even harder to raise the headstock in vertical mode if you have to. Shopsmith owners find their ways to deal with these things.

You are well set up already, go have some fun with that machine!
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I am reading the drill press comment as meaning that the quill is not retracting properly,
This could be caused by the spring not being tensioned properly or possibly damaged, sawdust build up in the quill advance mechanism, need for cleaning and waxing the quill itself, etc.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
KingofCamelot
Bronze Member

Post by KingofCamelot »

Thank you all so much for your replies! Yes the seller did say the quill was hard to retract or something. He gave me a box of items that I need to go thru and figure out what's what. Right now it is about 17 degrees here in MN and am I anxious to fire it up but will need to wait a bit more. I noticed that the horizonal slider bars are a bit rusty or something. Is WD40 safe to use on those?
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

First thing to do is clean it up, wax it, then align it. WD40 is okay to use, but clean the tubes with mineral spirits before waxing them.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

For light surface rust I use a Scotch Brite scrubber pad, steel wool or fine sandpaper will work too.

Here is a video that covers waxing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7yRjr06_Z0
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Already some great information from the other forum members. As for the rust and using WD 40, remove the rust but do not use oils or greases on the Way Tubes for protection and lubrication. They only attract sawdust and "gum" things up. The way Tubes are the upper ones the headstock and carriage slide on. The lower tubes are the Bench Tubes. Once the rust is removed wax the tubes with Johnson original paste wax or similar wax. This not only protects the bare metal from rust but also provides lubrication for the parts moving on each other.

EDIT: Sorry I missed that you did get an original manual when I first read your post so you can ignore the following paragraph and link.

Did you get an owners manual? If not I recommend starting with the summary manual linked below. This is from here on the Shopsmith website. I do recommend you get a copy of the complete Mark V 520 manual.

https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf

For help identifying items you have questions on I recommend adding pictures to your posts. Under the Community section near the top of the list is "How to post a picture" with steps to help getting the picture to the correct size for posting.

As for adding a Bandsaw if you find a need for one look around in your area for them or on the online auctions for one at a reasonable price and that includes shipping. They should not be that difficult to find and like Ed I have ended up with 3 of them.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Buy a can of Barkeepers Friend. It has a lot of good uses but is really great for removing rust from anything on the SS and it is non-abrasive. As for cleaning saw blades I've found that soaking them in left over coffee removes everything, then use the Barkeepers F. and wax. BTW if you can find 11" 16mm film cans they are perfect for cleaning and storing saw blades.