Will a SS Mark 7 Carriage Fit/Work on a Mark 5?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

stvgrv
Bronze Member

Will a SS Mark 7 Carriage Fit/Work on a Mark 5?

Post by stvgrv »

I purchased a Mark 7 last April and was disappointed that the Power Station was not available anymore. I purchased and repaired a Mark 5 (1982 version with no accessories) to compensate for the lack of a Power Station. By replacing the original Mark 5 carriage with a newly purchased Mark 7 carriage for $176 bucks, would it fit and would I be able to share the Mark 7 table and saw accessories between the two?

Thanks
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Will a SS Mark 7 Carriage Fit/Work on a Mark 5?

Post by chapmanruss »

Yes.

The Mark 7 uses the same carriage as the Mark V 510, 505 & 520. The difference between a Mark 7 and a Mark V 520 is the Power Pro Headstock and the Double Tilt Ends plus the reversible table posts with gear teeth on both sides.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
stvgrv
Bronze Member

Post by stvgrv »

Thanks Russ, seeing your equipment list and experience makes me feel much better about the purchase.

SG
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

stvgrv wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:46 pm Thanks Russ, seeing your equipment list and experience makes me feel much better about the purchase.

SG
From your original post I have a question. Is your MK 7 a current MK 7 or a 60's MK VII. There is a big difference.

Just want to
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John has made a good point and I did not confirm which Mark VII or 7 you have. The first picture below is the current Mark 7. What I said above applies to it.
mark7site.jpg
mark7site.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
The picture below is the older Mark VII from the 1960's.
MARK-VII_SS Inc.jpg
MARK-VII_SS Inc.jpg (10.62 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
stvgrv
Bronze Member

Post by stvgrv »

Thanks John and Russ for the follow up, that's exactly why I was asking. Being a newbie to the Shop Smith brand and all the different models, it can be daunting ordering parts and a possible item return. I was unaware of the Mark VII model.

I have a new Mark 7 with the Power Pro headstock as shown in Russ's top picture.

Thanks again
SG
TonyB1649
Silver Member

Post by TonyB1649 »

If you look on ebay or craigslist you probably can find a carriage that will fit make sure it is from a 510 or 520. It will be cheaper than what you can get one from shopsmith. You can often find shorty models complete with a headstock for 250 to $300.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:59 pm John has made a good point and I did not confirm which Mark VII or 7 you have. The first picture below is the current Mark 7. What I said above applies to it.

mark7site.jpg

The picture below is the older Mark VII from the 1960's.

MARK-VII_SS Inc.jpg
Russ, If I'm not mistaken, the early Mark 7/ Mark VII (It had both markings) carriage WILL fit on a Mark 5/V.
(Can't put the Mk V/5 carriage on the early Mk7/VII, because of the racks on the front way tube. (Unless you
remove the racks.)

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It is best to just ignore the "Mark 7" badge on the "Mark VII".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Steve,

The Mark VII from the 1960's does have both VII and 7 on it but as JPG said it is best to ignore the 7 when referring to it. I like to add early Mark VII or 1960's Mark VII and current Mark 7 when referring to them. It does get confusing with all the Shopsmith Tools and their "Models" that have come out since their introduction in 1947. The Mark 5 was shown that way until 1980 when it changed to Mark V as listed on the tool itself. The Mark V models 500, 505, 510 & 520 refer to the table/fence system they have. The original Table/Fence system became the 500 in 1985.

To my understanding the Mark VII can use the Mark 5/V Headstock and therefor the Mark 5/V carriage with the racks removed from the way tube. JPG knows more about the Mark VII. I have seen them but never owned one to really get into it's workings.

The OP has a current Mark 7 and wants to use the same Table System from it on a Mark V so he needs the Mark V 505, 510, 520, Mark 7 carriage which is the same carriage for those Model's Table/Fence systems.
Russ

Mark V 520