Dado Blade Advice

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sadair
Silver Member

Dado Blade Advice

Post by sadair »

I am interested in setting up my 520 for a dado blade. I will not be doing advanced work so I do not need the best blade out there. SS has a sale (15% off) a new dado blade. You can purchase a used SS dado blade from ebay at a considerable cheaper price, however it is not the same dado blade that SS now offers. Besides the sharpness is there an advantage of the new blade over the previous version? Also is there another blade that is recommended? Thanks in advance.

Steve
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Dado Blade Advice

Post by DLB »

There are quite a few variables. Two completely different versions exist, wobble dado and stack dado. Wobble is less expensive and usually, if not always, carbide tipped. Wobble's biggest disadvantage is that the cut is slightly rounded at most dado widths, but it is adequate for many things.

The stack dado has two common sizes, 6" and 8". Most, if not all, SS brand (or sold) dados are 6". The newer ones are carbide, the older ones are not. Personal opinion - I'd be concerned about any used blade unless I factored sharpening into the price and savings. Some eBay products are new/unused, so this may not apply. Carbide has a much longer life and goes longer between sharpening, only you know how important that is for your need.

IMO Carbide is the way to go. I still have one of the older SS steel dado stacks, it's actually the only non-carbide blade I ever use. It does a very good job. But I will replace it with carbide rather than have it sharpened when it becomes too dull.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I agree with David on this. I have both types (stacked and wobble) neither are carbide blades and when needed I'll replace them with a carbide stack set.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

There are also different advantages and disadvantages in both the 6 inch and the 8 inch blades , the 6 inch has less circumference and teeth meaning the cut does not require as much torque on the motor or amps required to maintain a set speed , if you use a lot of hard woods like hickory or oak the smaller dia cutters can be a advantage , it may not make a difference on your set up but it will in some situations .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I say use whatever dado blade you have. I've had wobble and stacked blades. Both work well for any jobs I've attempted with them. I've had a steel one and a carbide one. Again, both work well. I've had a 6" one and a 8" one. Both work equally well.
I have never needed to cut dados so deep that the size of the blade matters. The 6" one reaches deep enough for all my jobs, and the 8" one on these jobs doesn't take noticably more power so for me, size doesn't matter at all. The variable speed of the Shopsmith deals with all these differences.
sadair
Silver Member

Post by sadair »

Thanks for all the advice. Probably will go with a non-SS blade for now.
pngeezer
Bronze Member

Post by pngeezer »

Also might want a dado set that cuts flat-bottomed grooves, for shelving, etc. where the joint would show. Another consideration is that most of todays plywoods are not true 1/2" or 3/4 dimension. So having a dado set that has various shims to get a join tight is important too.

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-10T-Pro-Da ... B0000223O8

Jim
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pngeezer wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:47 pm Also might want a dado set that cuts flat-bottomed grooves, for shelving, etc. where the joint would show. Another consideration is that most of todays plywoods are not true 1/2" or 3/4 dimension. So having a dado set that has various shims to get a join tight is important too.

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-10T-Pro-Da ... B0000223O8

Jim
I think quality Baltic Birch plywood is the solution to dimensional problems.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think baltic birch metric sizes are likely the reason for imperial sized plywood being under sized.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

Baltic birch is made to metric dimension and so isn't exactly equivalent to inch dimensions like 1/2 or 3/4