Drill press issues

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

geoffshell
Bronze Member

Drill press issues

Post by geoffshell »

When I set up my Shopsmith Mark 7 in drill press mode, the table doesn't lock securely. A moderate amount of pressure moves is, even though I have locked it with the lever. I thought at first that the lever was like the table-tilt lever, where I would pull it out and get a new "grip" on the shaft, thus being able to lock it firmly, but it doesn't seem to do that. There's a very small opening, much smaller than the standard size Allen-wrench elsewhere on the SS, but it doesn't seem to move. Plus, it doesn't seem like it should really be that complicated. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I have a workaround: just lower the table to the very bottom of the posts so it rests there and can't go down any more, but is there something else I can do to lock the table in place? It locks well enough for table saw work, but in drill press mode it won't stay still.

Also, the headstock for the Mark 7 in drill press mode is VERY heavy, as SS knows, and very difficult to adjust up (I can "cheat" if it has to go down by VERY GRADUALLY loosening the lock and then quickly tightening it when it's falls down to the desired height off the table). I bought the gas-spring table raiser and attached it, but it doesn't move at all; I attach it to the two little balls on the installed brackets, and once I raise it to drill-press setup, it doesn't move. Is there something I need to do to release it and, as SS advertises, change the effort needed to move that headstock from 47# to 5#?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Drill press issues

Post by JPG »

Table slipping, or, carriage slipping?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

geoffshell wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:47 pm When I set up my Shopsmith Mark 7 in drill press mode, the table doesn't lock securely. A moderate amount of pressure moves is, even though I have locked it with the lever. I thought at first that the lever was like the table-tilt lever, where I would pull it out and get a new "grip" on the shaft, thus being able to lock it firmly, but it doesn't seem to do that. There's a very small opening, much smaller than the standard size Allen-wrench elsewhere on the SS, but it doesn't seem to move. Plus, it doesn't seem like it should really be that complicated. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I have a workaround: just lower the table to the very bottom of the posts so it rests there and can't go down any more, but is there something else I can do to lock the table in place? It locks well enough for table saw work, but in drill press mode it won't stay still.

Also, the headstock for the Mark 7 in drill press mode is VERY heavy, as SS knows, and very difficult to adjust up (I can "cheat" if it has to go down by VERY GRADUALLY loosening the lock and then quickly tightening it when it's falls down to the desired height off the table). I bought the gas-spring table raiser and attached it, but it doesn't move at all; I attach it to the two little balls on the installed brackets, and once I raise it to drill-press setup, it doesn't move. Is there something I need to do to release it and, as SS advertises, change the effort needed to move that headstock from 47# to 5#?
It can be a little tricky. First you have to make sure your way tubes are waxed and the table carriage slides very easily in the horizontal position. In drill press mode the table raiser will not raise the table on it's own. You still have to assist it. Hence the SS statement 5# of effort instead of 47#. The problem is the gas spring is attached to the carriage but the table itself is cantilevered away from the carriage. That tends to bind the carriage when in drill press mode. You need to apply a little pressure to the front of the table in the up direction to release the binding. That is true (up) weather you are moving the carriage up or down. Of course, you have to apply pressure to the carriage depending on which way you want to move it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

On the other end of the lever that is used for locking there is a nut. You can tighten that nut but just a little at a time, I mean a very little at a time until the lever will just move from vertical to horizontal. It is a little tricky to get just right, but once at the correct tension it should lock things up really well.

If there is some defect then of course all bets are off. Another workaround is to buy a collar clamp and get the two piece type that will fit over the tube and will prevent the carriage from slipping.

Yet another option is a 2 x ? that you can stick between the carriage and the base to get the table at a height of your liking.

It is best to locate the headstock in the horizontal position before tipping up. Or if you need to move it then go back to horizontal before attempting to move it.

I assume you know that the carriage lock needs to be loosened when using the lift. If you have done that then perhaps you are not putting enough pressure on the table to lower/raise it?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

Has anyone had a problem with the Power Pro Headstock sliding down as they are moving the quill feed?

It seems like I have to tighten the Headstock lock abnormally more than I expected and event then I've had problems where the Power Pro Headstock will slide down on me.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dcottrill wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:31 pm Has anyone had a problem with the Power Pro Headstock sliding down as they are moving the quill feed?

It seems like I have to tighten the Headstock lock abnormally more than I expected and event then I've had problems where the Power Pro Headstock will slide down on me.
I have not had this issue. One possibility is that one of your wedgelocks is binding on the threaded rod. From the outside, you can check that both wedgelocks (items 54 and 55) are slightly recessed (maybe 50 or 60 thousandths) into the casting when locked. On the Powerpro there is some spiral wrap (52) around the rod (87), and two flat washers (55a) meant to keep the spiral wrap out of the threads. I would check all of that as spiral wrap in the threads could cause the problem you are experiencing. You'll need to remove the belt cover and motor pan. At that point I'm not sure if you can inspect the important points or if you also need to tilt or remove the motor. If the spiral wrap and washers are not the problem you can inspect the threads for other issues. If you don't see the problem try posting some photos of the wedgelocks, threads, etc. here for more suggestions.

Also let us know if this is a factory PP headstock as opposed to a DIY mod, and the age of the headstock.

- David