Concentricity of Lathe Chuck to Drive Center???

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Concentricity of Lathe Chuck to Drive Center???

Post by dusty »

If I read into this correctly you are telling me to measure runout with and without the Nova and the difference can be attributed to the Nova.

Can you tell me what runout I should expect on just the spindle?

This is what I see. Is the setup correct and is the number (0.0065") an acceptable runout number? This is the largest number I get as I slowly rotate the spindle.
My Nova Runout??
My Nova Runout??
20210114_124523.jpg (359.69 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:37 am If I read into this correctly you are telling me to measure runout with and without the Nova and the difference can be attributed to the Nova.

Can you tell me what runout I should expect on just the spindle?

This is what I see. Is the setup correct and is the number (0.0065") an acceptable runout number? This is the largest number I get as I slowly rotate the spindle.

20210114_124523.jpg
Dusty,

Sorry, I missed your reply before. Thanks for measuring this. I still don't have a dial indicator that I can reasonably mount to measure mine yet, but I think your measurement looks reasonable and should be acceptable for a woodworking chuck. In searching some other forums on woodturning, I see differing opinions on the Nova chucks. Some say they are as good as Oneway or Vicmarc chucks and others say that the Nova chucks have excessive runout compared to them. Until I can measure my Nova G3 chuck runout, I am going to just assume that my problem is more to do with the lack of concentricity (differing center points) between my Shopsmith lathe drive hub and the Nova G3 chuck. So, my problem on this thread has more to do with this than with my Nova G3 not meeting a specification, I think. In hunting around on different forums, I did come across a couple of interesting bits of information from more experienced woodturners than myself. When it comes to low runout, highly accurate lathe chucks (metal or woodturning), I believe chucks mounted on a morse taper are more precise than threaded direct drive chucks like the Nova G3. Even with perfectly machined threads, supposedly a morse taper drive is superior to threaded. Related to this apparently the spindle adapter can cause runout issues. To minimize this some woodturners will cut off the end of the spindle adapter so that the shoulder of it rests directly against the backside of the chuck. Also some chucks have a washer between the adapter and the chuck - this washer has to be a precision ground washer so you can't just use a generic one from the hardware store. In looking at my spindle adapter on my Nova G3 chuck there is a gap between the adapter and the chuck so I guess if I wanted to chase this more I could measure runout then try shortening the adapter to see if it helps. Likely would be chasing nits though.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I note that the links to problems date back to 2017, I believe there was a bad batch of inserts about that time. :)

There is a reference surface on the nose of the insert where it seats into the chuck, it needs to be clean and fully inserted to avoid wobble.
Looking on the Teknatool web site I see that the online Manual for the G3 is not very comprehensive and doesn't seem to mention installing the insert. You can download the manual for the SuperNova2 which covers installing the insert in more detail and has a lot more information.
https://teknatool.freshdesk.com/support ... ck-manual-

There is also this trouble shooting manual for their lathes/chucks that might help narrow down the problem.
https://teknatool.freshdesk.com/support ... va-lathes-
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

rpd wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:22 am I note that the links to problems date back to 2017, I believe there was a bad batch of inserts about that time. :)

There is a reference surface on the nose of the insert where it seats into the chuck, it needs to be clean and fully inserted to avoid wobble.
Looking on the Teknatool web site I see that the online Manual for the G3 is not very comprehensive and doesn't seem to mention installing the insert. You can download the manual for the SuperNova2 which covers installing the insert in more detail and has a lot more information.
https://teknatool.freshdesk.com/support ... ck-manual-

There is also this trouble shooting manual for their lathes/chucks that might help narrow down the problem.
https://teknatool.freshdesk.com/support ... va-lathes-
Thanks Ron. Good to know. Hopefully those few bad Nova reviews were just for that bad batch of insert at that time. Thanks for the referral to the Supernova² manual recommendation. When I got my G3 chuck I was surprised how minimal the manual was, but the Supernova² manual is much more detailed and looks useful. I misunderstood where the reference surface is for the insert and the Supernova² manual shows it clearly. Also thanks for the Nova troubleshooting document. I think my G3 is acceptable, but when I get a dial indicator I'll reference these documents and see if I can measure it just to be sure.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Re the bad inserts, I think that was around the time they shifted production to China, and it was a matter of "You get what you inspect, not what you expect." ;)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,