Attachment storage/organization

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

flparrish
Bronze Member

Attachment storage/organization

Post by flparrish »

I recently purchased a “Goldie” from the original owner. My father has been a Mark V owner for 30 plus and gave me some attachments as well. My shop area is approximately 14x14. I was wondering about how to store/organize the attachments, what does work, what doesn’t work etc. I know some things are preference, but experience is the best teacher, especially if it is someone else’s experience.

Attachments I have other than what comes with the Mark V: bandsaw, jointer, drum sander, mortise jig, shaper and the small pieces that come with each. Any other setup wisdom would also be appreciated
Frank

Goldie, Bandsaw, jointer, shaper, drum sander, mortising jig
“Experience is the best teacher, especially if it is someone else’s experience”
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Attachment storage/organization

Post by garys »

There have been other threads here about storage of extra items. This thread has some ideas.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24353&p=277188&hili ... ge#p277188
flparrish
Bronze Member

Post by flparrish »

Thanks garys,
This is my first experience with this type of forum. I only searched the beginning woodworking group instead of the entire forum.
Lots of good ideas. thanks
Frank

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Frank,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

Gary's roll-a-round cabinet is a great storage idea and a nice piece of workmanship. The SPT shelf is an idea I have seen variations of including Shopsmith plans. It is an especially nice idea for storage over a Shopsmith stored against a wall. A real space saver. I use a 5 drawer base tool cabinet for storing smaller items and Model 10 accessories. It does the job similar to Gary's roll-a-round cabinet but not nearly as pretty. I built a cart to store most of my SPT's and other items. I got the idea from other storage I have seen. Being mobile it keeps most of my Mark 7 & Mark V 520 accessories close at hand. I built it when I had just the Mark V 520. My Scroll Saw sits on a Power Station and my Model 10 Jig Saw & Jointer have storage mounts on top of the tool cabinet.

_
Storage - front.jpg
Storage - front.jpg (159.97 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
_
All the SPT's are mounted on SPT Mounting Bases and the Extension Table, Tailstock and 5" connector tubes are stored in holes drilled into the cabinet.

_
Storage - right.jpg
Storage - right.jpg (119.52 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
_
The ends are framed peg board and allows for easy reorganization.

_
Storage - back.jpg
Storage - back.jpg (167.12 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
_
The table storage rack has 4 connector tubes under the Table Support Leg. It's made out of wood but is modeled after the metal storage brackets Shopsmith sells.

_
Storage - left.jpg
Storage - left.jpg (98.45 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
_
I have a piece of 1 x 4 that stores arbors, lathe centers and other spindle accessories that sits on the bottom shelf of the cart under the Belt Sander. It also has the needed Allen Wrenches that are not the 5/32" size but the 1/8" one is not there in this picture.

_
Arbor plus storage.jpg
Arbor plus storage.jpg (139.07 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
_
Below is my Model 4E Jointer and Jig Saw for my Model 10ER sitting on the wood storage bases I made for them.

_
4E Jointer and Jig Saw.jpg
4E Jointer and Jig Saw.jpg (52.24 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
flparrish
Bronze Member

Post by flparrish »

Russ,
that gives me several good ideas. I don't have as many attachments but I can plan for tghem based on your pics. thanks for the help
Frank