How to Use Lathe Eccentric Tail Stock Bushing

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: How to Use Lathe Eccentric Tail Stock Bushing

Post by edflorence »

All good ideas and information, especially about using epoxy to fil the dimple in the eccentric and maybe even having a second eccentric to use just for non-eccentric turning. I have used jb Weld to fill the dimple but recently just bit the bullet and ordered a new one from the mother ship. First time I have ever hade one without the dimple!

As far as turning tapers, I think how you do it depends on how long the taper is going to be. If less than the diameter of a sanding disk, the way I do it is to set out a series of diameters on the spindle with a parting tool and then use a gouge to connect those points. Just set the diameters as close as you need to to get a smooth transition between them. Then, once the taper is roughed out that way, take a sanding disk and hold it against the workpiece to get a nice even taper. If the taper is longer than the diameter of a sanding disk, you could glue some sandpaper on a nice flat board the length of the taper and do the same thing.

Hope that is helpful.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

reible wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:37 pm I have had good luck by using this setup:

tool rest.jpg

You could also just just the arm with a clamp and piece of flat stock below then the c-clamp, or any other options one can think of.

Ed
That’s a slick setup, Ed. I’m assuming that’s a faceplate that the skew chisel is clamped to. What did you use for a mounting shaft? My tool-rest arm has a 3/4”bore, and of course my SS faceplates have 5/8” bores.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Exploded view:
spq1.jpg
spq1.jpg (186.72 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member