New Member / Old Mark V

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dcohen
Bronze Member

New Member / Old Mark V

Post by dcohen »

Hi all,
New Member here in Wisconsin with a 60 yr old Mark V, which is coincidentally the same again as I am.
Yesterday I lined the head stock, which must have been one of the few times it has received oil since it quieted down considerably. I have the original owners manual and followed the instructions there.
My SS is about 15" shorter than original, and will be used as a lathe, once I get some missing accessories, and a drill press. (I already have a tables saw, bandsaw, lathe, etc.)
Restoring it has been fun. I actually had a 10-ER about 30 years ago, which I liked very much. Built a lot of stuff with it.
Anyway, I'm enjoying the forum. Thanks for having it!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: New Member / Old Mark V

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. I'm glad you have been enjoying the Forum. As you already know there is a lot of information here and many members willing to help with questions.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

+1

Where in the Dairy State?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dcohen
Bronze Member

Post by dcohen »

Western edge of Sheboygan county, in the Kettle Moraine State Forest.
dcohen
Bronze Member

Post by dcohen »

Do most folks lube their SS more often than 10 hours? Since I have no idea about the history of this machine I am inclined to lube after about 2 hours initially for the first few times and then move to 10 hours. Be Nice if there was an hour meter for these machines...
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Lube it oncw while iin drill press mode and leave it like that overnight.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Every 10 hours is the manual recommended frequency.

MANY rarely get a drink that often. Some never. They will run a long time without lubrication, but will wear eventually. Timely lubrication greatly extends the run time until wear becomes a problem.

Nothing magic about 10 hours and the amount of oil added also affects time before excessive wear begins. I recommend more oil than the manual suggests. Long idle time also suggests lubricating prior to resuming use.

Adequate lubrication will allow running for a VERY long time.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange