Newb with SS questions - part 2 - SS as Table Saw

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Newb with SS questions - part 2 - SS as Table Saw

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:20 pm I'll add the 520 rail alignment jigs to my previous list of differences and refinements between 510 and 520. These jigs provide an alignment standard to ensure the proper relationship between the rails and the tables they are bolted to. I don't think there is a 510 equivalent and don't believe that if I make one in my shop that I can produce it with similar tolerances and accuracy.

- David
Yes, the rail alignment jigs are different in that they provide better a reference standard than no jig at all but the rails can be aligned just as well without them. The same approach can be utilized with the 510 rails. The object is simply to make certain that they are "all positioned the same with reference to the table surface".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:57 pm Yes, the rail alignment jigs are different in that they provide better a reference standard than no jig at all but the rails can be aligned just as well without them. The same approach can be utilized with the 510 rails. The object is simply to make certain that they are "all positioned the same with reference to the table surface".
Yep, I'm not disagreeing. I was just throwing out some differences between 510 (especially early ones) and 520 that might create challenges achieving the same accuracy or stability. Some undoubtedly have no bearing, for example I prefer the newer style table but have no issues with the ribbed version regarding accuracy or stability. Others, like the carriage, I'd be kinda shocked if the newer version had no bearing on stability and accuracy (though I've not tested it).

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gotta weigh in on this 'discussion' since very significant 'details' that are a different between the ORIGINAL 510 and both later 510 ans 520 rail design.

The original(mouse hole) rail tubes were mounted into threaded holes in the front and rear edges of the tables. This provided no ability to adjust the tubes for table tops to be co-planar.

The 510 later version used welded studs on the rail tubes and smooth bore holes and kep-nuts. This provided some slop between the holes and the studs to allow some 'adjustment'.

The 520/7 changed the rails to extrusions and used bolts and kep-nuts. It also included a 'gauge' to assist in making the table tops co-planer.

The major improvement of the 520/7 as the inclusion on the twin mating surfaces on the inner top of the rails so the round tubes had a nest to align into. The clamping from the bottom provided repeatable vertical positioning of the table tops.

I wish there was a better way to clamp the tubes than smashing it with a screw.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BigChip
Silver Member

Post by BigChip »

QUESTION - If I were to find a late 1990s 510 model with lots of accessories, like bandsaw, joiner, belt sander, etc. Would $1500 be a fair offer? Less? More?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

BigChip wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:30 pm QUESTION - If I were to find a late 1990s 510 model with lots of accessories, like bandsaw, joiner, belt sander, etc. Would $1500 be a fair offer? Less? More?
Hard to say. That's about the peak price for such a machine around here. It would assume all parts are there, not just the big pieces, all the knobs, featherboards, arbors, and good usable blades on everything, and clean. No broken casters, no funny noises, well lubed as a sign of being well maintained.

This ad shows a Model 500 for sale for $300. It may not include anything not seen in the picture so it cost you the rest of $1500 to fill that out. Or it's a great deal, and I'm tempted to inquire about it myself. If it includes all the standard parts but no other tools like a bandsaw, joiner, etc. then it's still a steal.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BigChip wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:30 pm QUESTION - If I were to find a late 1990s 510 model with lots of accessories, like bandsaw, joiner, belt sander, etc. Would $1500 be a fair offer? Less? More?
Kind of high...I have to ask how you are searching for it? If you are using Craigslist, don't forget that you can search up to 200 miles from your zip code which should give more choices. If you don't mind driving more than 200 miles from home, you can manually search Craigslist for other cities and there are ways to automate this so that you get alerts when one is posted near you. Alternatively, I would strongly recommend checking Facebook Marketplace in your area which seems to be taking the place of Craigslist as it drops out of favor. Often you will find more choices if you look on Facebook. Lastly, is there a Habitat for Humanity ReStore located near you. Sometimes Shopsmith equipment ends up at places like this and often the sales people don't know how to price it so sometimes you can get really good deals here, or so I am told.

Sadly there was a 510 with lots of accessories posted near me a few weeks ago on Craigslist for $0 !!!
I didn't see it in time and someone else got it. The seller just wanted to clear it out of their shop...presumably to make room for new equipment.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
markjunelleharmon
Bronze Member

Post by markjunelleharmon »

This summer we just purchased a brand-new (but first bought in 1999 by a local fellow), never-used 510 with bandsaw, lathe tools, blades, accessories and safety kit for $500 here in central Washington state. I understand prices vary considerably by region though.
BigChip
Silver Member

Post by BigChip »

That's what I figured. $1500 is way too high IMO as well...

And I definitely am not interested in driving even 100 miles to look at one. I figure if it is meant to happen, it will happen locally. Otherwise not that big a deal to me. I may take this as a sign to just go ahead and buy the table saw I have been looking at and be done. Thanks!