Comfortable using the table saw?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Comfortable using the table saw?

Post by RFGuy »

DarthTader wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:39 pm has anyone made any quality of life improvements for this to feel safer?
To answer this specific question above from the OP, there have been some past threads on this forum where this was discussed a bit. Maybe search for "height" or "platform" and "lathe" or "tablesaw" (one thread I found is linked below). What I have seen mostly discussed was in regard to the Mark V lathe being too low for those of us who are taller, but in discussing this invariably a discussion comes up around the tablesaw mode as well. Both raising and lowering the lathe has been discussed before. Typically building some kind of platform to wheel the Mark V up onto for raising it. Lowering it is a little more challenging and typically requires removing the legs and building your own custom stand to mount it on, but some have also suggested building a platform/stage to put in front of the Mark V to work from so that the table is effectively lower. My only concern with some of these is I am afraid that I would trip entering/exiting the platform.

As has been discussed already it largely comes down to muscle memory. I have mostly only used a Mark V for tablesaw most of my life so I have gotten used to it at this height. However, I can certainly understand if you are coming from a traditional tablesaw it has to be disconcerting to try to do tablesaw mode on the Mark V at its height. I have the same issues with workbenches and tend to prefer taller workbenches due to my height, but others prefer a much lower workbench. Of course I am a predominant power tool woodworker, but if I ever get heavy into hand tool woodworking I might change my mind on workbench height. Bottomline is do whatever feels most comfortable and safe for you...if that means modifying your Mark V then so be it.

viewtopic.php?p=265418#p265418
Last edited by RFGuy on Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Comfortable using the table saw?

Post by edma194 »

If the height of the machine was lower I'd have no problem with it, except that I haven't done much turning and I can see how it might seem too low for lathe mode. A speed reducer could be made that raises the lathe spindle up from a shorter machine if that was enough of a concern.

But it is just my background with regular tablesaws that makes the Shopsmith height at all odd for me. And I did plenty with both 500 and 510 machines in tablesaw mode so it was never much of problem anyway. I really prefer to use a traditional table saw more than the Shopsmith because it stays set up ready to use. A Shopsmith 520 or Mark 7 with a few extra tables kept as a dedicated tablesaw would work well enough. Even a 510 if you don't mind the fence.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER