Comfortable using the table saw?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DarthTader
Bronze Member

Comfortable using the table saw?

Post by DarthTader »

Hey, yall so I used the table saw (mode?) recently and just the height felt scary. normal table saws you raise the blade and obviously with this you move the table. has anyone made any quality of life improvements for this to feel safer? IDK what it is about it that makes it feel less safe, and it may all be in my head, but I keep thinking of the adage that if you aren't comfortable with something that's when you can get hurt. :( I know it's just the height difference but that's what feels weird.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Comfortable using the table saw?

Post by JPG »

After a while you will think all those other table saws are 'low'.

With it higher you will not need to bend over to 'see' things.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

At 6’3” tall, most woodworking equipment feels too low to me. When it comes to table saws, I believe that you should always stand outside of the line of fire, just in case. I was once dinged in the temple while learning that lesson, too inexperienced to avoid a kickback situation, but yet cautious enough to be wearing goggles.

But to your point, the higher the saw blade, the less likely that a body part will fall into it and be summarily amputated. But too high, and a kickback projectile could hit your face. If I ever make at least two mistakes at the same time, both standing inside of the line of fire and allowing a kickback situation, I would hope to be hit in the chest. It might hurt for a while, but my ribcage would protect me against serious injury.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I got used to using the Shopsmith as a table saw. It's easier in some ways to line things up with the extra height. It is occasionally a little weird to have the height changing with the depth of cut. However, now that I'm back to using my Sawsmith table saw I do miss the traditional table saw height. I'm more comfortable working with my arms nearly straight instead of bent at the elbow to reach out over the table. OTOH, having worked with some lower quality table saws I'd still take the Shopsmith over those.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

If you have a fair amount of experience with a typical table saw, your muscle memory is yelling at you. Table saws are always a little scary, so the muscle memory thing is especially disconcerting.

As you get used to the Shopsmith you'll develop new muscle memory. It'll get better.
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I don't feel that the higher table saw is a safety issue, but I just don't like it. I normally have a dedicated table saw in the shop, but while building the new shop my only stationary tool was one of my Mark V's. I used the Shopsmith table saw to rip window and door jamb extensions and flooring, and it just feels weird. On the other hand, my 5 foot nothing daughter thinks my table saw is too low and thinks the SS is about right, so it really is personal preference.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

I'm 6'2" my wife is 5'2", I love the height of the table saw, especially if I have a lot of cutting to do. My back doesn't scream at me. The lathe is too low for me. I like to play with the lathe but my back hates it. My wife struggles with the the height of the saw and doesn't use the lathe... yet.
The first time I used the saw I thought huh, well this is kind of awkward, but the more I used it, the more I to liked it. My back really appreciates it.
I'll build some sort of platform for the Shop Smith if I have a lot of lathe work.
And no, I'm not going to let my wife wear roller skates when she uses the table saw. :D
DarthTader
Bronze Member

Post by DarthTader »

davebodner wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:43 am If you have a fair amount of experience with a typical table saw, your muscle memory is yelling at you. Table saws are always a little scary, so the muscle memory thing is especially disconcerting.

As you get used to the Shopsmith you'll develop new muscle memory. It'll get better.
yeah you're definitely right that puts words to it, less my mind more my body going.... what are you doing idiot your gonna get us killed. LOL
KayBur
Silver Member

Post by KayBur »

DarthTader wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:39 pm Hey, yall so I used the table saw (mode?) recently and just the height felt scary. normal table saws you raise the blade and obviously with this you move the table. has anyone made any quality of life improvements for this to feel safer? IDK what it is about it that makes it feel less safe, and it may all be in my head, but I keep thinking of the adage that if you aren't comfortable with something that's when you can get hurt. :( I know it's just the height difference but that's what feels weird.
I don't have such a problem. My height is 187 centimeters, so my hands are above the saw, and not to the side, which reduces the risk of injury. Maybe you should make the desktop itself below?
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

twistsol wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:44 am I On the other hand, my 5 foot nothing daughter thinks my table saw is too low and thinks the SS is about right, so it really is personal preference.
I'm 5'-4" and have been using Shopsmiths for 60 years and the table height seems fine to me. So I do agree that it is a matter of what you are used to. Tablesaws are the most dangerous tool in the typical shop, regardless of make, model or size. (OK maybe SawStop might be safer) and that fact does not change with table height. Feeling comfortable with table height may play a part in working safely, but so does using splitters, guards and reasonable caution.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser