Shorter Arbor

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Shorter Arbor

Post by jsburger »

StevenAyres wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:20 pm An idea that hasn't yet been explored in this thread is blade choice for the Mark VII. To use the original system (guard as pictured below, carriage lock aligning the blade to the table slots), you'll definitely prefer to use the original short arbors and 9" blades by Magna. Those blades come available frequently on Ebay and such for not much money, they're of high quality for their time and sharpen up well. I haven't seen any carbides, but having the standard blades sharpened is inexpensive too.
I assume by blade choice you mean a 9" diameter blade. Please explain how the diameter of the blade relates to the length of the arbor. :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

jsburger wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:32 pm Please explain how the diameter of the blade relates to the length of the arbor. :confused:
The blade diameter is more about the guard than the arbor per se. The original VII guard won't take a 10" blade, at least not comfortably.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

StevenAyres wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:43 pm
jsburger wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:32 pm Please explain how the diameter of the blade relates to the length of the arbor. :confused:
The blade diameter is more about the guard than the arbor per se. The original VII guard won't take a 10" blade, at least not comfortably.
OK, but that was not the point of the OP.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Mike,

The Sawdust Chute/Lower Blade Guard P/N 505705 for the Mark VII that Steve is talking about is the same one I showed a picture of (on it's box) in my previous post. Since it is not the one you have there is no worries about using 10" Saw Blades. The 505628 Lower Saw Blade Guard you have was made for use with 10" blades.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:34 pm Mike,

The Sawdust Chute/Lower Blade Guard P/N 505705 for the Mark VII that Steve is talking about is the same one I showed a picture of (on it's box) in my previous post. Since it is not the one you have there is no worries about using 10" Saw Blades. The 505628 Lower Saw Blade Guard you have was made for use with 10" blades.
Perfect, I think I am all set. :)
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper