520 upgrade or?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: 520 upgrade or?

Post by edma194 »

I first had a 500, then I added a 510, but not never got a 520. I also have a table saw so I don't use the 510 for that now but I used to, and before that I used my 500 for a table saw. They have all done the job. However I was much happier with the larger table of the 510, and the more powerful motor too. I think you'll find a you have a much better table saw with the 520 just based on the larger table, and I've never heard a complaint about the fence upgrade on the 520.

You should consider carefully getting a used 510 if the money matters. Even if you don't have space to keep an extra machine on the floor you just need space to take apart your old 500 and keep it for parts. You can still upgrade the tables to the 520 version if you like. But if you can afford it, a 520 upgrade gets you all the way there, with brand new parts too, you never know what kind of condition a used machine will be in. So I think it's just a matter of money. You will be better off moving up to either a 510 or 520 and it's just about how much you are willing to pay.

And if you do have a little extra room consider getting a 510 and turning your old machine into a shorty drill press. I can't tell you happy I am to have done that and now I have a drill press ready to go all the time and it takes up less than 4 sq. ft. of space.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
lew
Gold Member

Post by lew »

Thanks everyone, a lot of good information to mull over. Think I'll keep an eye on craigslist and in the meantime rationalize to myself the purchase of the 520 upgrade.
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

If you can get a good, whole 510 for $500, it seems like the most cost-effective way to get to a 520 would be to buy the 510, do the 510=>520 upgrade, then sell off the 500. The difference between the 500=>520 upgrade and the 510=>520 upgrade is almost $1,000. It might be worth saving $500 plus the sales value of the 500 to find a place to store the 500 for a while.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Lots of good advice here and you should be aware of some nuances:

There are at least two major versions of 510/520 main tables. The earlier one, very common among 510's and 520's upgraded from 510's, has gray edges and a ribbed top surface. The more recent has black edges, and the central portion of the top between the T-Slots is not ribbed. Some folks have a strong preference. I do not, or at least not yet. A table set is color matched to the main, but I'm not aware of any physical differences to the extension/floating tables.

There are at least two variations of the 520 infeed side rails, applies to all tables in the system. The newer one has a magnetic strip and supports direct measurement by attaching either a long or short rule to the magnetic strip. Here again, some folks have a strong preference. This is available as an upgrade kit and may be found on either table variation.

The only reason I point these out is because if you have a strong preference for either, you can ensure that you get it. Two variations, so there are four versions out there.

- David
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

lew wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:55 am I'm sure it's largely lack of experience, but the 500 table feels cramped. I do seem to have some trouble with aligning the fence, but haven't really investigated and am chalking it up to a "me" problem. I do rely on the tracksaw for sheet goods so that's not too much of a concern.

When you say you wish you never upgraded your 500, is that just to the 510 or would you have kept the 500 over the 520?

Thanks for the info on the Ridgid and Delta, I'll check them out.
To answer your question, two things. First the 510 upgrade in my opinion was a huge mistake made by Shopsmith. The quality of the parts were not up to Shopsmith standards and the whole concept to me was wrong. It really soured me on Shopsmith for many years until after the 520 came out and I saw one. I am of the opinion the 520 corrected everything that was wrong with the 510. The second thing is the Shopsmith by nature is compromised in tablesaw mode. As such the 500 handles everything the Shopsmith excels at. While the 510 and 520 offer bigger table which is great, neither really addressed the biggest obstacles to the Shopsmith being a great tablesaw. The money spent to upgrades would have gone a long way to the purchase of a standalone table saw.

Yes check out standalone tablesaws if you can't work with the model 500. Remember the upgrades really do little for the other functions of Shopsmith.
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

The 510 is a good system. I really can't figure out the statement Ed from Tampa keeps making. His opinions and experience are certainly not mine or many others.I have both a 510 and now have a 520 also. The 510 is just as accurate and reliable. It's smaller but in using it it's just as reliable. The 520 I have a bit more confidence in when I'm wrestling full sheets of 3/4" plywood against it, but that's about it. I don't have to measure each end or anything like that. I spent the time to set both up. The 520 is easier to set up initially but once I got the 510 set up it hasn't changed and it's been several years since I set it up. I had a stand alone table saw and gave it to my brother because I would rather use the space for my extra Shopsmith.
Get the 510, learn how to use it, see the setup procedure from the Mr. Tool Hunter (now My Growth Rings) and don't listen to the negative nonsense.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

It isn't just Ed that doesn't care for the 510 table system. I have commented on it in the past. Often the assumption on this forum is that if anyone complains about the 510 then they just don't know how to setup or align it and that may well be true for some Shopsmith owners. It has been too many years since I switched from 510->520 now so I can't say for sure that my issues with 510 setup weren't user error on my part. My own perception has been that the setup and use of the 520 table & fence system has been more trouble free for me than when I used my 510 system. Also, I like the extra heft (weight) of the 520 fence and believe it is easier to dial in a width for cutting whereas my 510 fence I could just look at and it would move. I do wonder though if the differing experiences are due to the actual equipment rather than user error. We know that there have been quite a few manufacturing changes over the years on different Shopsmith parts, as one would expect for a product in manufacture for so long. In addition there is manufacturing variability and sometimes Shopsmith even recalls new parts that get shipped in error because of supplier issues. So, I wonder if my 510 fence was persnickety simply because of a manufacturing issue with the one I received, but those who never had these issues have parts that are manufactured better. Just a thought.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

RFGuy
Could be. I know there are "lemons" as well as exceptional with anything manufactured as well as improvements as time goes on.
I may have just been blessed with a good one, I don't know my only experience is with one but I'm very happy with it and don't think that the 510 fence was a mistake.
I will admit that I like the way the 520 system tightens on the tubes as opposed to the rollers.
I like the 510 set up on storage on my French cleat wall better. They take up less room.
I use both.
But to buy a 510 for $500 how this thread started I wouldn't pass it up if I didn't already have two shop smiths.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

AEA wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:18 pm But to buy a 510 for $500 how this thread started I wouldn't pass it up if I didn't already have two shop smiths.
I have to agree with this. If you aren't satisfied with the 510 performance as a tablesaw you can still upgrade the fence system to the 520 type. And that upgrade is on sale right now for $475. So for $1000 you'd have everything you'd get for $1500 and you'd have a newer machine and an extra to boot. If you can't take the extra one apart and store it, and you don't want to go through the trouble of selling it then give it away, I'm sure it will go fast.

You might be fine with just the 510, it depends on what you are doing with it. The 510 fence was occasionally persnickety for me but worked much better than the 500 fence, and attaching a hardwood auxiliary fence gave it some extra weight and stability. I have to admit I clamped down the back end when ripping 10 ft. long lumber. However, It's hard to see how you won't be happier with a 510 than you are now with a 500. And you still have the option to upgrade to the 520 fence and table system.

I've seen a couple of 510 ads on Craig's LIst recently. I listed one of the Bargain thread just $300 and once again feel like I missed a bargain because I was too much of a tightwad to spend the money. If you can get one for $500 that has the tables and a decent headstock then you oughta go for it.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Let me say this my 510 upgrade was a very early edition and my 520 upgrade was mid cycle to late in the cycle. But to get my 510 to my satisfaction Shopsmith replaced my table three times, my trunnions twic, my fence once and the table rails at least once. All the parts were bent, severely corroded or warped as much 50 thousands. The first fence was bent/cast wrong nearly a 1/8 in the center compared to the ends.

Secondly ask any engineer about trying to vertically lock a pipe by pressing against with a flat surface bolt mid way on its vertical surface. They will laugh at you. Yet the is exactly how the 510 held the fence tubes into the fence rails. Could you adjust it to perfection? Absolutely you but it required more screwing around than I was willing to do. And even a slight adjustment required the more screwing around. The 520 locks in this vertical lock by pressing against the tubes from the bottom.

And please do not tell me how good you can handle a 4 by 8 sheet stock on your Shopsmith, I view that act as foolishness, yes I did it in the past but panel and/or track saws are far more accurate and require far less physical effort. Plus they are a 100 times safer. I do not think it is possible to get commercial insurance in a shop that still uses a tablesaw to size sheet stock. None of my suppliers have a tablesaw in their shop except one small door company that has a Delta contractor saw setup to cut door trim 24/7