Finishing a woodworking bench

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Majones1
Gold Member

Re: Finishing a woodworking bench

Post by Majones1 »

mickyd wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:21 am Go ahead Marc..... do the right half with the oil finish and leave the left side natural. You'll have the best of both worlds! :)

My choice for what is worth, apply a nice oil finish for looks. Yeah, I'm a cosmetic kinda guy as you veterans here know.

Interested in opinions on a stain only???
You know me, Mike, I'm not really much of a cosmetic guy for functional tools. Though I do love the looks of that 10ER you gave me. :)

But, I have been thinking I would like to see the wood grain in the benchtop a little more, but I don't want to take away from its ability to grab what I'm working on. Still, I always love to hear what you're thinking. After reading about your color selection process for this 10ER, I suspect that for a stain you are thinking something "burgundy"? :D

As for worrying about stains, grease, or glue, I saw a guy use brown paper when he was using spray on glue when he was making a jig - I thought that was a great idea and bought a roll. So, I expect to use and reuse cut pieces of that paper, or an expensive :eek: piece of scrap plywood, most of the time.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

How about a “compromise” finish?

Lately I’ve been spraying my jigs & fixtures with clear satin lacquer. The stuff in a rattle can works fine. It brings out the grain without changing the color of the wood very much, so scratches and dings aren’t very noticeable. It applies easily and dries very quickly — just be sure to apply it outdoors or in a VERY well-ventilated space, as it’s chock-full of smelly & toxic VOC’s.

The lacquer penetrates enough to strengthen the wood surface and to protect it from liquids — at least the ones that are less aggressive solvents than lacquer thinner. And unlike polyurethane, a fresh coat of lacquer melts right into any existing coats, so refreshing a tired finish is easy. It’s not particularly slippery, and you can roughen it up with fine sandpaper if you wish. I usually apply two or three coats, sanding lightly with fine sandpaper between coats to knock off stray fuzz & fibers.

To see what it looks like over raw wood, check out the example WoodAnchor jigs and fixtures at toolquest.net. I finished most of those with spray lacquer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Spray shellac?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:14 amSpray shellac?
I use spray shellac sometimes, and it’s a whole lot more pleasant to use than lacquer. The thing is, I use denatured alcohol quite often as a cleaning solvent, and it will quickly dissolve shellac. So for a workbench, I’d choose lacquer for its better chemical resistance.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That dissolved shellac is soooo easy to 'repair'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

malakrowa wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:33 pm Its look perfect for me ! Very nice job.
[Link Deleted]
Note that there is a link hidden in that post under the 'relevant'-ish text.

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:25 pm
malakrowa wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:33 pm Its look perfect for me ! Very nice job.
[Link Deleted]

- David
There sure is. It is still there. The SPAMERS are getting even more creative.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

[Link Deleted]

- David
No link present when approved. Edited in later.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

beeg wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:10 pm
[Link Deleted]

- David
No link present when approved. Edited in later.
Of course not. They have to get approved first. Then add the link later so it shows up sooner on a Google search.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT