Need Help Identifying Lathe Chuck

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Need Help Identifying Lathe Chuck

Post by RFGuy »

My father-in-law passed away last year and I finally got to travel to inventory his workshop and do some maintenance (very humid basement shop) on the equipment there. So, I came across this lathe chuck that I have cleaned up and have been trying to identify the manufacturer. Thought I would post it here and hopefully one of the very experienced woodturners on the forum can help me. Does anyone know the brand of this chuck? It has no discernable markings on it and I haven't been able to find any similar looking ones online for comparison. So, the jaws are numbered, but I am used to there being a number marked on both the jaw, but also on the slides on the chuck itself. I can't find any numbering anywhere on the slides or around the chuck, so I am assuming there is a manual or instructions somewhere for lathe chucks like this that specifies how you know which jaw goes where on the lathe chuck? FYI...the stainless caphead screws are not original as those were too rusted to put back into service. Hoping to set this one up as a 2nd lathe chuck in addition to my Nova G3.

Does anyone recognize this lathe chuck or know how to match the numbered jaws to a lathe chuck that is not numbered?
IMG_6813.jpg
IMG_6813.jpg (215.38 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
IMG_6814.jpg
IMG_6814.jpg (291.41 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
IMG_6815.jpg
IMG_6815.jpg (248.97 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Need Help Identifying Lathe Chuck

Post by chapmanruss »

It looks similar to my Nova G3 Chuck. Could it be an older Nova Chuck from Teknatool? I tried a search online but only found the G3 and newer ones.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Russ,

Thanks. Doesn't your G3 have a key/wrench though? The closest I can find to it is one from Grizzly, so I think it is a Grizzly chuck, but not positive. Note this chuck doesn't have a "key" to tighten it. You simply turn the chuck base relative to itself. There might have been some round bars to put into holes on the side to get it tight, but there is no key like most modern chucks have for tightening. I don't really have to identify or have a manual, but what I really wanted to know is what do you do when you have no way to identify the sliders relative to the jaws? I mean some lathe jaws are numbered 1, 2, 3 & 4 in a clockwise pattern while other brands are counter-clockwise. Without a manual, etc. I don't know which order the jaws should be and with no numbers on the slides I don't know if I have the lathe chuck properly assembled for minimum runout and optimal concentricity.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would judge the correctness by how well the jaws close. Your current pix do not reveal very good closure.

I would be inclined to reverse the left most with the right most one. (CW/CCW reversal)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:01 pm I would judge the correctness by how well the jaws close. Your current pix do not reveal very good closure.
Thanks JPG. Yeah, I agree, but when I swapped them the other way CW<->CCW they still didn't close well. On top of this, one of the jaws almost seems like it doesn't match this set. I say this because it sits up taller than the other jaws. So, I don't even think I have a matched set of jaws since that one doesn't seem to "fit".
📶RF Guy

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The missing bars are called tommy bars and they are still in use by some current lathe chucks.

https://www.sherline.com/product/4059-s ... set-grips/

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Nova Chuck does have a key. I may have found one like the one you showed in the pictures called the Wen Adjustable Chuck.

_
Wen Adjustable Lathe Chuck image 1.jpg
Wen Adjustable Lathe Chuck image 1.jpg (36.53 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
Wen Adjustable Lathe Chuck image 2.jpg
Wen Adjustable Lathe Chuck image 2.jpg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks Russ and Ed. I had heard of Tommy bars before, but my memory just didn't jog on this one. You are correct, this style lathe chuck does need Tommy bars to get it fully tight. I'll need to get them if I decide to use this lathe chuck. Also, I didn't realize that Nova had manufactured any lathe chucks in black oxide...I guess I have just been so used to seeing their newer ones be nickel plated. So, I did some more digging since I started this thread and I found this one (see below) from Grizzly which looks very similar to the one you posted. Of course it is very close in resemblance to the Wen chuck you posted so it could be what I have is either one of these. I checked out the Wen manual and it clearly shows stamped numbers on the ends of the slides, but mine does not have this at all. I have removed the jaws and even before I cleaned it I could find no signs of numbering on the slides. I was hoping to use this as a secondary chuck, you know for when you want to turn something but there is an unfinished project on your primary lathe chuck that you don't want to remove yet. I really wish the jaws fit better and that I knew which slides mated to which jaw pieces. I appreciate all of the feedback on this thread. If anyone has suggestions on this chuck I am open, but I am also very happy with my Nova G3 so maybe this chuck isn't worth the trouble for me? I am definitely a little apprehensive on firing it up until I can get the jaws to fit together better.
Grizzly_lathe_chuck.jpg
Grizzly_lathe_chuck.jpg (38.84 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
📶RF Guy

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Maybe your best hope is you never need to use it since you do not have the Tommy Bars to tighten it and your comment -
On top of this, one of the jaws almost seems like it doesn't match this set. I say this because it sits up taller than the other jaws. So, I don't even think I have a matched set of jaws since that one doesn't seem to "fit".
I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. At first look I was simply trying to find something that matched.

If it were me with the uneven jaws I would rather unmount an unfinished project than use that chuck to begin a new one. So far, that hasn't been a problem since I don't do a lot of lathe work but I do want to get into it more.
Russ

Mark V 520
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Have you tried all 16 combinations? 8 if keeping jaw sequence(s).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange