Complete Rookie - Shopsmith 10ER Lathe/Drill Press

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Complete Rookie - Shopsmith 10ER Lathe/Drill Press

Post by JPG »

rayrondini wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:35 am
DLB wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:31 am I'm not (yet) a Model 10 guy, but isn't there some type of tailstock center in the OP's pic?

Suggestion for OP - Add a photo with all of the parts/accessories you have and let the smart Model 10 folks here tell you what you have.

- David
Thanks - I'll do that!
The tailstock does have the MT2 socket.

It appears to have a live center inserted into it.

BTW the cone pulley on the motor is mounted bas ackward.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rayrondini
Silver Member

Post by rayrondini »

JPG wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:52 am
rayrondini wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:35 am
DLB wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:31 am I'm not (yet) a Model 10 guy, but isn't there some type of tailstock center in the OP's pic?

Suggestion for OP - Add a photo with all of the parts/accessories you have and let the smart Model 10 folks here tell you what you have.

- David
Thanks - I'll do that!
The tailstock does have the MT2 socket.

It appears to have a live center inserted into it.

BTW the cone pulley on the motor is mounted bas ackward.
Hi JPG - If that thing I have is a live center... it's dead now. So I'll need to replace it. Just to confirm what others have said (and to make sure my slow brain understands):
  • No other adapters or anything needed?
And I should also figure out how to reverse the pulley on the motor? :confused:

Thanks for everyone's help so far! I feel slightly less dumb... or perhaps just differently so, now!
Last edited by rayrondini on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

On a closer look there appears to be a Lathe Cup Center aka dead center in the tailstock. As JPG noticed the motor pulley is on backwards. The pulley steps should be opposite between the headstock and the motor to be able to change between the speeds. The only time the headstock and motor pulleys face the same way is when using a Speed Changer. If you haven't already seen it the PDF below is something I have posted many times which is the speed chart for the Model 10's for the 7 possible speeds.
_
Table of Speeds Model 10s.pdf
(182.91 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
If you don't have an Owner's Manual there is one available at the link below. It is found here on the Forum site under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. You will want the Model 10ER Restored Owner's Guide found on the 2nd row, 2nd from the left.
_
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... XBhMHJJY1E

From your last post

Yes for the Lathe Drive "A" and Live Center "C". You do not need the Tailstock Chuck Arbor unless you want to mount a Drill Chuck on the tailstock for some special lathe work. You will want a Drill Chuck to mount on the headstock's spindle for Drilling.

To reverse the pulley on the motor find the set screw normally in the center groove and loosen it. Slide the pulley off and turn it around. Slide the pulley with the small step towards the motor back on. Align the pulleys and tighten the set screw. You will find it helpful if the pulleys move freely on their shafts when the set screw is loosened to change the alignments for the additional 4 speeds shown in the chart attached above.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rayrondini
Silver Member

Post by rayrondini »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:15 pm On a closer look there appears to be a Lathe Cup Center aka dead center in the tailstock. As JPG noticed the motor pulley is on backwards. The pulley steps should be opposite between the headstock and the motor to be able to change between the speeds. The only time the headstock and motor pulleys face the same way is when using a Speed Changer. If you haven't already seen it the PDF below is something I have posted many times which is the speed chart for the Model 10's for the 7 possible speeds.
_
Table of Speeds Model 10s.pdf

If you don't have an Owner's Manual there is one available at the link below. It is found here on the Forum site under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. You will want the Model 10ER Restored Owner's Guide found on the 2nd row, 2nd from the left.
_
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... XBhMHJJY1E

From your last post

Yes for the Lathe Drive "A" and Live Center "C". You do not need the Tailstock Chuck Arbor unless you want to mount a Drill Chuck on the tailstock for some special lathe work. You will want a Drill Chuck to mount on the headstock's spindle for Drilling.

To reverse the pulley on the motor find the set screw normally in the center groove and loosen it. Slide the pulley off and turn it around. Slide the pulley with the small step towards the motor back on. Align the pulleys and tighten the set screw. You will find it helpful if the pulleys move freely on their shafts when the set screw is loosened to change the alignments for the additional 4 speeds shown in the chart attached above.
Thank you!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"Hi JPG - If that thing I have is a live center... it's dead now. So I'll need to replace it."

What part are you trying to rotate? Only the center cup portion rotates. The rest does not.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Quick question , regarding the pulley , wouldn't that just give ya more versatility with speed and torque like a drill press ? here is a link to rpm and pulleys , http://mgfic.com/rpm_calc.asp old school teachings use to tell us as long as the motor was not pulling too many amps at any given speed a number of pulley configurations can be used ? the HP rating on the motor should dictate the RLA running load amps on the load being applied ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

Yep, they all nail my idea, from SS product page, live center, and a is the drive center.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hobbyman2,

I'm not sure what all you were asking. Your first comment
Quick question , regarding the pulley , wouldn't that just give ya more versatility with speed and torque like a drill press ?
If I understand what you are asking. By having the the pulleys opposite keeps the belt in line and provides the different speeds, just like a Drill Press. Example the 2" motor pulley to the 4" headstock pulley. If the pulleys both face the same way than keeping the belt in line gives the same speed just on different size pulleys and requiring different length belts. The 2" to 2", the 3" to 3" and the 4" to 4". The Model 10E and 10ER do work like a drill press, in fact it was designed after the Drill Press with the addition of a second post (the way tubes). Additional parts added to it allows it to be laid down and provide other functions.

JPG,

When I blew up the picture of his Model 10ER it looks more like it has a dead center. See below

_
rayrondinis model 10ER detail.jpg
rayrondinis model 10ER detail.jpg (32.32 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yep! I stand corrected!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

rayrondini
Silver Member

Post by rayrondini »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:29 am Hobbyman2,

I'm not sure what all you were asking. Your first comment
Quick question , regarding the pulley , wouldn't that just give ya more versatility with speed and torque like a drill press ?
If I understand what you are asking. By having the the pulleys opposite keeps the belt in line and provides the different speeds, just like a Drill Press. Example the 2" motor pulley to the 4" headstock pulley. If the pulleys both face the same way than keeping the belt in line gives the same speed just on different size pulleys and requiring different length belts. The 2" to 2", the 3" to 3" and the 4" to 4". The Model 10E and 10ER do work like a drill press, in fact it was designed after the Drill Press with the addition of a second post (the way tubes). Additional parts added to it allows it to be laid down and provide other functions.

JPG,

When I blew up the picture of his Model 10ER it looks more like it has a dead center. See below

_
rayrondinis model 10ER detail.jpg
So... what's the answer? :) Do I need to flip the thing around, or no?