Complete Rookie - Shopsmith 10ER Lathe/Drill Press

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rayrondini
Silver Member

Complete Rookie - Shopsmith 10ER Lathe/Drill Press

Post by rayrondini »

I picked up a Shopsmith 10ER (Serial ER51036) with various part/accessories, but far from a "complete set." I've tried reading through the forums and documentation and such and... wow! You guys are amazing in the breadth of knowledge and information. But for me, a complete rookie, it's entirely overwhelming :eek:

I'd primarily like to use this 10ER as a lathe and drill press. Is it possible for someone to just point me to the things I'd need to buy to make this dream a reality?

I plan to buy this Spur Drive Center Set (https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTSET.html) and this Spindle Adapter (https://www.pennstateind.com/store/L5818.html) from Penn State for the lathe dream. Do I need a live center for the tailstock? Where do I get one?

For reference: 6 months ago, all I owned was a cordless Black and Decker drill I got for Christmas, and the socket set the bank gave me for free when I opened my first bank account 20 years ago... I only just recently figured out what a headstock and tail stock are. So... be gentle and feel free to assume I know nothing :)
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (459.07 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Re: Complete Rookie - Shopsmith 10ER Lathe/Drill Press

Post by BobCoates1953 »

I don't do much spindle turning any more, but when I did I found the SS listed ones ok. IMO You should get item A and C. They don't require any adapters to fit the SS.
Now if you plan to do bowl or vases, that is a whole new ball game.

Bob
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Just go on eBay and buy a SS spur drive and live center. They are on there all the time. Once you get into turning you can decide if you want something different.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rayrondini
Silver Member

Post by rayrondini »

BobCoates1953 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:39 pm I don't do much spindle turning any more, but when I did I found the SS listed ones ok. IMO You should get item A and C. They don't require any adapters to fit the SS.
Now if you plan to do bowl or vases, that is a whole new ball game.

Bob
Thanks, Bob! What do you mean by "item A and C"?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

He may mean items A and C from the Shopsmith product page for Lathe Centers. C is a live center which will be useful for anything supported at both ends.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... enters.htm

They also have 3 3/4" and 6" faceplates:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... plates.htm

The tailstock has a Morse 2 taper so for live centers, drill chucks and the like you have a variety of choices from different manufacturers. Shopsmith does have a tailstock arbor with a 5/8" spindle that you can mount a drill chuck on.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... arbors.htm

For drilling in general you can use any chuck that will fit on a 5/8" spindle.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

rayrondini,

I am not sure what Bob meant by
IMO You should get item A and C.
Don't get the 7 Piece Multi Spur Drive Center Set. It is important to know that the Shopsmith has a 5/8" reverse tapered spindle for the drive side. That is different from what most stand alone lathes have. As John said get a Shopsmith Lathe Drive which is $29.99 new from Shopsmith or a used Shopsmith one. The Tailstock uses a standard #2 Morse Taper so other brands will work. Again as John suggested get a used one or you could buy a new one from Shopsmith. Something to consider is the Live Center has a bearing in it which over time can go bad and be hard to turn. It is not always true but can happen for whatever reason. I have an original Live Center from 1947 or 1948 that still turns great. I have a later one which hardly turns so is not much better than a Lathe Cup Center aka dead center.

For Drill Press use you will simply need a Drill Chuck and any one made for the Shopsmith from 1947 until now will work.

I see Ed has just came in with some of the same information.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I'm not (yet) a Model 10 guy, but isn't there some type of tailstock center in the OP's pic?

Suggestion for OP - Add a photo with all of the parts/accessories you have and let the smart Model 10 folks here tell you what you have.

- David
rayrondini
Silver Member

Post by rayrondini »

DLB wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:31 am I'm not (yet) a Model 10 guy, but isn't there some type of tailstock center in the OP's pic?

Suggestion for OP - Add a photo with all of the parts/accessories you have and let the smart Model 10 folks here tell you what you have.

- David
Thanks - I'll do that!
rayrondini
Silver Member

Post by rayrondini »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:13 am rayrondini,

I am not sure what Bob meant by
IMO You should get item A and C.
Don't get the 7 Piece Multi Spur Drive Center Set. It is important to know that the Shopsmith has a 5/8" reverse tapered spindle for the drive side. That is different from what most stand alone lathes have. As John said get a Shopsmith Lathe Drive which is $29.99 new from Shopsmith or a used Shopsmith one. The Tailstock uses a standard #2 Morse Taper so other brands will work. Again as John suggested get a used one or you could buy a new one from Shopsmith. Something to consider is the Live Center has a bearing in it which over time can go bad and be hard to turn. It is not always true but can happen for whatever reason. I have an original Live Center from 1947 or 1948 that still turns great. I have a later one which hardly turns so is not much better than a Lathe Cup Center aka dead center.

For Drill Press use you will simply need a Drill Chuck and any one made for the Shopsmith from 1947 until now will work.

I see Ed has just came in with some of the same information.
Thanks! Very helpful!
rayrondini
Silver Member

Post by rayrondini »

edma194 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:02 am He may mean items A and C from the Shopsmith product page for Lathe Centers. C is a live center which will be useful for anything supported at both ends.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... enters.htm

They also have 3 3/4" and 6" faceplates:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... plates.htm

The tailstock has a Morse 2 taper so for live centers, drill chucks and the like you have a variety of choices from different manufacturers. Shopsmith does have a tailstock arbor with a 5/8" spindle that you can mount a drill chuck on.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... arbors.htm

For drilling in general you can use any chuck that will fit on a 5/8" spindle.
Thanks, Ed! Very helpful!