1989 new to me shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JGM1970
Bronze Member

1989 new to me shopsmith

Post by JGM1970 »

Recently bought a Shopsmith mark v 510, that was bought new by a guy and his father in law, in 1989 in Texas, it came with the band saw, scroll saw and dust collector, and a whole lot of documentation.
Owners manual, self study, text book, plus 3 heirloom projects, (workbench, entertainment center, and woodworking fundamentals).
99% of everything was there, minus the drill chuck, and the lathe face plates, but it did have a dado blade kit, and arbors on every saw blade.

So after watching various videos online, I decided the best plan, was to clean, wax, and oil, since it has been sitting idle for a number of years, (I did lower it up before I bought it), the plan was to clean and lube it, the let it run for about 20 - 30 mins, slowly going through each lettered step on the speed dial, just to wake it up, and get it moving again, after running to dial up and down, I set on G, and let it run the motor for another 10 minutes.

It sounds smooth, changes speed smoothly, with a little hang up where I belong it has been run before, for the dado, and saw.

I haven't made a single pile of sawdust yet, but I am planning to soon,
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 1989 new to me shopsmith

Post by JPG »

Apply some belt dressing to both belts.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

It sounds like a nice addition for your shop. You said the speed changes smoothly except for "a little hang up" in the saw/dado range. It could have a bit of wear between the worm gear and the quadrant (aka pork chop) making that area harder to turn past. If you want to check it out you can remove the Speed Control Assembly to inspect those parts.

Something else you may wish to consider is doing the maintenance again since you said it had been sitting awhile. Re-lubricating and waxing again would not hurt as long as there is no excess oil dripping out of the motor and idler pulley assemblies. Also some dry lubricant on the Speed Control moving parts.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JGM1970
Bronze Member

Post by JGM1970 »

Thank you for the advice of the belt dressing,

I was hoping not to have to disassemble the machine any more than basic maintenance at this time, until I become familiar with it.
With that being said, upon reinspection there is a smoother feeling spot on the pulleys, so I am of a mind that the . machine was used mainly as a table saw,
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

"It sounds smooth, changes speed smoothly, with a little hang up where I belong it has been run before, for the dado, and saw."

I ran into this some time ago and JPG suggested re-lubing and going through the speeds slowly. Hang up is gone.
JGM1970
Bronze Member

Post by JGM1970 »

I did do like a break in run, ran the motor with no load, and slowly went through the alphabet, pausing on each for about a minute, then did a slow sweep from slow to fast and back down, and it is clearing up,

Last night I ran then power station with the band saw mounted on it, and the dust collector running, and cut some wood I was wanting to look at better. Both work perfectly,