sassafras wood

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JGM1970
Bronze Member

sassafras wood

Post by JGM1970 »

Anyone have any experience with sassafras wood, I have access to an ample supply of green, and also cured.
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: sassafras wood

Post by edma194 »

Smells like root beer when you cut it. I have heard of turners using it but i have only a little exposure to it. A local sawyer tells me he has it available from time to time. What I've seen had a very nice grain pattern, similar to red oak but more contrast between the light and dark grain. Can't say that was typical though.

Hope I'm not going too off topic here, the local guy tells me some woods like catalpa and sassafras are rarely found at mills because they don't grow in groves. A log turns up once in a while but the mills don't want to bother cutting a species they can't make available in significant volume. The pieces I had came from the odds and ends bin at an exotic wood dealer in NY. Not knowing any better at the time I assumed sassafras was a rare exotic wood and probably overpaid for a few board feet.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JGM1970
Bronze Member

Post by JGM1970 »

Reason I'm asking is I have sassafras on my property, and have to thin them out to open up the canopy, because it is over crowded,

So I am figuring about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of them need to come down, which equals to anywhere between 15-30 trees coming down, averaging from 8-12 inches in diameter.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

JGM1970,

According to the link below, it appears that it can be used in woodworking.

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wood ... 89868.html
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I just finished a little box today made from sassafras culled with my SS bandsaw. I really like that wood.
WatchBoxClosed.jpg
WatchBoxClosed.jpg (97.13 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
Rocked_Lid.jpg
Rocked_Lid.jpg (84.24 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
WatchBoxOpen.jpg
WatchBoxOpen.jpg (127.65 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I have not used it myself but a memory came to mind I can share, several years back I was deer hunting on a private farm , I came across a tree stand in a huge tree, had to be 4 ft across , I clem up into the tree stand leaned back on the tree and instantly started smelling sassafras , for years we dug the roots on smaller trees and made tea with it , but this was a very large tree and I could not imagine a sassafras tree that big . I have seen a few jewelry boxes and a few odds and ends and even sides and backs of dresser drawers made from it . my guess is contact a saw mill if there is one close , bet they would buy them .
Last edited by Hobbyman2 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:26 pm I have not used myself it but a memory came to mind I can share, several years back I was deer hunting on a private farm , I came across a tree stand in a huge tree, had to be 4 ft across , I clem up into the tree stand leaned back on the tree and instantly started smelling sassafras , for years we dug the roots on smaller trees and made tea with it , but this was a very large tree and I could not imagine a sassafras tree that big . I have seen a few jewelry boxes and a few odds and ends and even sides and backs of dresser drawers made from it . my guess is contact a saw mill if there is one close , bet they would buy them .
I would agree. The lumber yard/saw mill/farm that I get most of my wood from has many different woods that are not normally harvested for sale that grow locally. I have found boards from Sycamore, Hackberry, Osage Orange, Cottonwood, and other varieties along with the normal Oak, Elm, Ash, Cedar, Cherry, Walnut, Pine and Maple.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JGM1970
Bronze Member

Post by JGM1970 »

As of a discussion with the wife, she is of a mind the she now wants sassafras objects, and other household projects done with the new found resource.

So now I get to learn how to mill my own,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Sounds like a fun project going from tree to finished piece.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
faizanmazhar00
Bronze Member

Post by faizanmazhar00 »

edma194 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:30 pm Smells like root beer when you cut it. I have heard of turners using it but i have only a little exposure to it. A local sawyer tells me he has it available from time to time. What I've seen had a very nice grain pattern, similar to red oak but more contrast between the light and dark grain. Can't say that was typical though.

Hope I'm not going too off topic here, the local guy tells me some woods like catalpa and sassafras are rarely found at mills because they don't grow in groves. A log turns up once in a while but the mills don't want to bother cutting a species they can't make available in significant volume. The pieces I had came from the odds and ends bin at an exotic wood dealer in NY. Not knowing any better at the time I assumed sassafras was a rare exotic wood and probably overpaid for a few board feet.
Thankful