1/2" spindle converter to 1" 8 tpi for lathe chuck

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

MHKGreer
Bronze Member

1/2" spindle converter to 1" 8 tpi for lathe chuck

Post by MHKGreer »

I'm new to Shopsmith and recently acquired a gently used Mark V 510.
QUESTION: In order to mount a 1" lathe chuck... I assume I need first a means to step up my spindle from 1/2" to 1" 8tpi? Do you guys have any recommendations for doing so? And/or any recommendations for the best lathe chucks for a Shopsmith? I see the chucks at Shopsmith.com...but they appear to be for 5/8" spindles(???) and the narrative descriptions are generally unclear.
These seem to me to be basic questions, but my searches have failed to find answers. *Leading me to believe I missing something very basic here???? Thanks (from Hawai`i).
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 1/2" spindle converter to 1" 8 tpi for lathe chuck

Post by JPG »

I think you need to remeasure the SS quill shaft. It s/b 5/8" od.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

The SS spindle is 5/8 inch. Penn State Industries sells an adapter part # L5818 for the conversion.
Bill V
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

As above posters noted, the Shopsmith shaft is 5/8" and Penn State Ind sells an adapter. I bought their adapter, unsure if same as current one but assume so, several years back along with a PSI chuck kit and found the adapter to have a little bit of looseness in the threads that caused some harmonic vibrations when trying to turn hollow pieces where there was no longer tail stock support. No problem, though, with pieces supported on both ends nor on a couple bowls.

I believe that the chuck that Shopsmith sells also uses an adapter to go from 5/8" to the Nova's threads. If you decided to move to a dedicated wood lathe in the future, you should be able to use the chuck by getting the proper size adapter for the new lathe.

I was stationed at Hickam AFB from 90-94, loved it there.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
MHKGreer
Bronze Member

Post by MHKGreer »

Thank you all for your kind detailed responses and recommendations!
I'll go with the 5/8->1" adapter (for Shopsmith) I see available through Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K ... =pd_gw_unk