Are these Shopsmith parts/tools?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

TooStoopid69
Bronze Member

Are these Shopsmith parts/tools?

Post by TooStoopid69 »

I've been cleaning out my late fathers workshop and came upon a box with these parts/tools in them.

I'm pretty sure this is a box of parts to the vintage Shopsmith he used to have, but I'd appreciate confirmation from others. I don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks for your time.
Attachments
IMG_20210929_110652777.jpg
IMG_20210929_110652777.jpg (266 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
IMG_20210929_110806427.jpg
IMG_20210929_110806427.jpg (287.51 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
IMG_20210929_110853927.jpg
IMG_20210929_110853927.jpg (289.22 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Are these Shopsmith parts/tools?

Post by DLB »

There is a bicycle brake caliper in there. Everything else appears to be from a Shopsmith Mark 5 (or Mark V). The only part I'm not sure on is that flat ring, but a couple of those are used in the Mark, so I'm sat least 95% on that one.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Sorry to hear about your father's passing. Are you looking to sell these items or do you still have a Shopsmith they could be used in? If you want to sell them, you can probably clean them up and put them on eBay. I'll let other forum members comment here, but it looks to me like all of these items are Shopsmith Mark V related, with the exception of the black item. The black item is a bicycle V brake which should just be thrown out and isn't worth much unless you need it for a bike.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
TooStoopid69
Bronze Member

Post by TooStoopid69 »

Thank you guys. I appreciate the fast response. I'm laughing at myself for not recognizing the bicycle brake. I also found a bike reflector in the box (not pictured).

I'm not sure what we're going to do with them. They are pretty dirty at the moment. The Shopsmith was given to a friend in another state years ago. I may try to contact him and see if he wants them.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

TooStoopid69 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:03 pm I'm not sure what we're going to do with them. They are pretty dirty at the moment. The Shopsmith was given to a friend in another state years ago. I may try to contact him and see if he wants them.
I don't know the history, but if I had to guess I would say these are worn or slightly worn parts that maybe he replaced with new ones. Unless he was fixing up and/or restoring Shopsmith's, then these are just spare parts for those machines. In other words, some of these parts may be in good enough shape that you could clean them and sell them on eBay for a few bucks, but others here may be better headed for the trash bin. An example of the latter is the speed control shown...difficult to tell form the pic, but if the quadrant in the speed control has worn gears it probably is of limited value. Anyway, hope this helps.
Last edited by RFGuy on Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

TooStoopid69,

First let me say you should change your name here. You were smart enough to know you needed help and found it. In the copy of your first picture below I have numbered the parts for identification that may be of further help to you.

_
Mark 5 parts - TooStoopid69.jpg
Mark 5 parts - TooStoopid69.jpg (126.15 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
1 Quill Assembly - looks like it is an older one pre 1964 as it doesn't look like it has the black protective coating
2 Speed Control Dial
3 Idler Shaft Assembly - partial - part of the Idler Shaft Assembly
4 Speed Control Handle
5 Control Sheave Assembly - part of the Idler Shaft Assembly
6 Feed Stop Handle
7 Quill Lock Handle
8 Feed Stop
9 Retaining Ring - for the Drive Sleeve to keep it in the headstock - 1 of 2
10 Quill Feed Hub and Handle
11 Hubs for powering SPT's - left is Idler Hub and right is Drive Sleeve Hub
12 Wedge Lock - for locking headstock to way tubes - unknown if right or left hand wedge
13 Speed Control Assembly - check for wear on gears to see if still useable or of any value

Bike brake not labeled

In part 1 of the Quill Assembly the inside shaft should turn easily without wobbling or the bearing is bad and inspect for any other damage. On parts 2, 4 & 13 check for worn or broken teeth on gears and these are all part of the Speed Control Assembly. Idler Shaft Assembly parts 3 & 5 should have a smooth turning bearing on part 3 and part 5 should move smoothly on the shaft of part 3. The shaft on part 3 should have a few drops of light weight oil (sewing machine oil or equivalent) for part 5 to move back and forth on it. In the pictures the other parts look in good condition so unless you can see any damage or excessive wear they should be okay for use.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
TooStoopid69
Bronze Member

Post by TooStoopid69 »

Thank you guys again so much for your help! Much appreciated.