SS Mark 7, Lathe and Routing

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tkjones63
Gold Member

Re: SS Mark 7, Lathe and Routing

Post by tkjones63 »

David:
yes thats the one, i called and talked to the gentleman and had a good conversation, he seems to be a real upfront honest guy and the machine looks great so im heading out fri morning, im in western ok so its about a 6 hour drive but i needed a small road trip.
Troy Jones
just a old almost retired phone guy in remote western oklahoma
USAF Veteran 1985-1991
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

tkjones63 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:00 am David:
yes thats the one, i called and talked to the gentleman and had a good conversation, he seems to be a real upfront honest guy and the machine looks great so im heading out fri morning, im in western ok so its about a 6 hour drive but i needed a small road trip.
Great! I saw his ad and noticed that many of the "standard accessories" were not shown in his pics. (But he does include lathe tools and some other optional parts.) I suggest taking a list with you so that you make sure you get everything he has. Sometimes sellers have put unused parts away and neither buyer nor seller remember everything. You can find those here: https://www.shopsmith.com/mark7site/standardaccess.htm

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Have a nice road trip tomorrow. If the Mark 7 is the one I found that is less than 2 years old the seller should have all the accessories for it somewhere in his garage. Spend a little time with the seller, find out about the Mark 7 and give him time to find everything. That extra time could save you having to buy missing items later and will make the seller feel better knowing how much you care about his Shopsmith. Do make sure you have a large enough vehicle to transport it. Pickup or van will work well. I mostly use a Mini Van or sometimes a trailer. If it is being transported in an open pickup bed or trailer remember to bring something to cover it if there is any chance at all of rain and don't forget tiedowns or rope. There have been several times a buyer has shown up at my house to buy one of my restorations without a cover or tie downs.

Tips to help in loading it. First remove all parts that are easily taken off the Mark 7 which include the table and tailstock to make loading lighter. After moving the Mark 7 next to the vehicle, move the headstock to the end away from the vehicle which will make the end lifted first into the vehicle lighter. Then move the headstock to the end already in the vehicle and lift the other end into the vehicle. It is likely some dragging of the bottom of the legs will occur during loading and unloading as the wheels come off the ground. If you have a large enough piece of cardboard to place under the leg going last into the vehicle to slide on and first out it will help protect the paint on the bottom of the leg. Just some things I found loading and unloading Shopsmiths in and out of my vehicle.

After getting the Mark 7 home take some time to get to know it. Read the Owner's Manual paying attention to maintenance and alignment which should be done after getting it home. Do pay attention to the safety items so as not to get excited about using your new to you Shopsmith and missing important safety precautions.

Lastly we are here to help with information anytime you need it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I bring a small set of tools to load a Shopsmith into an SUV or hatchback:

1. A Shopsmith toolbox, i.e. a 5/32 hex key wrench. The seller may not know where theirs is and you may want to remove a sawblade or something else mount on the headstock.
2. A pair of screwdrivers, one flat head, one phillips. Both types of screws have been used to attach the legs to the base castings.
3. A pair of pliers. Those screws go into square head nuts on the interior of the legs. You'd need 12-point sockets or an open end wrench for those but I just use pliers.
4. A large piece of cardboard to put under the bases so you can easily slide the machine in. You only need 2 smaller pieces to fit under the base castings but I have a couple of large crazy dogs and keep the back of my SUV covered in cardboard all the time anyway.

That's it. Load the machine in first in the manner described above, then fit the other stuff around it. Don't forget to keep the headstock locked when it's not being moved. When I put the legs back on I use NyLock type nuts to replace the square nuts but I imagine most owners never touch those screws again unless they resell the machine.

Sounds like you found a deal on an excellent machine. You're getting all the best features available on a Shopsmith, a PowerPro headstock, double tilt, and the 520 table system.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
tkjones63
Gold Member

Post by tkjones63 »

thanks all, its going in a half ton truck, i am going to remove the headstock and sit in the back seat belted in and load the frame, im bring plenty of tools and ratchet straps.

Chapmanruss: i noticed the missing items as well and he said he has it all he just didnt take pics, he has a 510 and when he retired bought a mark7 then had cardiac trouble and isn't able to enjoy it. he told me had set it up, did the adjustments, made a few cuts and has sat ever since,

once i get it home and have time to go over everything ill attempt to take and post a cpl pics

i also have the sheet of what came with it printed out

thanks again
Troy
Troy Jones
USAF Veteran 1985-1991
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

tkjones -

I employ the overhead router function often as I find it better for me than my full blown router table. I wish I could tell you exactly why..but to be honest I dont know. I think its something about being able to see the cutting action.

The difference being in SS mode- the bit flys above the board and the cutting is visible, and on the router table - it is the opposite.

I tend to route at lower than the maximum speed available (powerpro about 10K rpm) and run around 5-6K rpm but at these settings it handily plows thru the cuts I am after. The router table can spin up to 20K RPM.

best of luck,

b
tkjones63
Gold Member

Post by tkjones63 »

got her home last night, unloaded and inventoried and everything is there, plus lathe tools. all the books, several parts were still in the original wrapping. the only scratch is a small one on the main frame that i made loading it in the truck.

Thank again all

once i get wife list done today ill start at page one and start going through the setup and calibrate steps.
Troy Jones
USAF Veteran 1985-1991
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Very nice, that’s exciting! Enjoy. (And post photos!). :)
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
tkjones63
Gold Member

Post by tkjones63 »

IMG-2213.jpg
IMG-2213.jpg (348.66 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
Attachments
IMG-2217.jpg
IMG-2217.jpg (422.25 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
IMG-2216.jpg
IMG-2216.jpg (348.22 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
Troy Jones
USAF Veteran 1985-1991
tkjones63
Gold Member

Post by tkjones63 »

sorry for upside down, just turn your screen :)
Troy Jones
USAF Veteran 1985-1991