Garage heaters

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Reflective Heater

Post by JPG »

Put a small fan near heater to move some air around it. Reflective is alright if you are trying to warm people who can feel it, but they are not very effective at warming up the atmosphere.

i.e. Radiant OK for people, Forced air better for heating shop!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I've tried my ceramic hot air heater. It seem when the warm air comes in contact with the cold mass of the shop it cools quickly. In this area of low humidities, air will warm and cool quickly.

When in Montana (for many years) we had mechanic shops heated with natural gas heaters. That is until one guy hooked up his shop with a couple of celing mounted reflective heaters. This heater warmed the mass of the shop (machinery, walls and floor) first. The result was the shop became a lot more comfortable than those with the gas heaters causing hot, dry air and cold machines.

Other shops then began converting to infra-red reflective units. They also saved money doing this.

Of course this was during very cool weather.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Cold Iron

Post by JPG »

Yes radiant heat will also warm the 'machinery' as well as the operators. It works well in places such as warehouses which would be prohibitive to 'heat'.

So perhaps you are better with radiant heater, but don't complain about the air temp! I would think rafter mounted radiant heat would be needed to be really effective.

Whatever Works is Good!:) :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

We used the infrared heaters at one of the firehouses in Bloomington and they worked great in the apparatus bay. Very pricy though... amazing what you can buy with the tax payers money.;)

My Dad spent thousands on on infrared heating system for his insulated machine shop on the farm and he is totally unsatisfied with it. He spends a great amount of his time in the shop as it is where he works on his tractors and farm machinery.

He wants to put in another wood heater since he was happy with that until insurance made him take it out through threatening higher insurance rates.
This time I think he wants to get a brick mason and put in a proper chimney.
I won't even tell you what he was using for a chimney before, it worked but was so far from being up to code.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
JPG
Platinum Member

Machine Shed Heat

Post by JPG »

[quote="My Dad spent thousands on on infrared heating system for his insulated machine shop on the farm and he is totally unsatisfied with it. He spends a great amount of his time in the shop as it is where he works on his tractors and farm machinery.

He wants to put in another wood heater since he was happy with that until insurance made him take it out through threatening higher insurance rates.
This time I think he wants to get a brick mason and put in a proper chimney.
I won't even tell you what he was using for a chimney before, it worked but was so far from being up to code.[/QUOTE"]

Maybe he needs a "Flueless Cornburning furnace"!.:D Just kidding about the 'flueless part'.:p
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Years ago when the price of corn was under $2 a bushel he was considering it. LOL

I looked at some of those at the time and they were very well thought out, heavy construction and best of all, separate from the unit you were heating, be it a house or a shop... they ran an insulated duct to the area to be heated.

We are pricing tankless water heaters and I notice that Bosch's bigger units are made to be installed on the outside of the home/building. I'm thinking of going this route to make more room for the kitchen remodel since the old tank unit is in a closet in the kitchen. More storage/cabinet space that way then.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Don't overlook the oil-filled radiant heater! I can keep both my train/ hobby room and workshop quite comfortable. Also, don't forget insulating the workshop. You don't want heat loss to the outside. It will keep you cooler in the warmer weather too!

BPR
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

I definitely need to insulate the garage but that will come after the rewire that is badly needed.:o
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

I saw this in the current issue of Popular Woodworking. Any opinions on this one, other than price?

http://www.sunheat.com/products/sunheat-infrared-portable-heaters
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

I saw this in the current issue of Popular Woodworking. Any opinions on this one, other than price?

http://www.sunheat.com/products/sunh...rtable-heaters
I have one like that in my living room and unless you work in a closet... forget it. SHMBO keeps it pointed at her feet and that's about all it's good for. Not near worth the cost for just a foot warmer.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies