ISO wider tool rest for lathe

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DrLarryAnderson
Bronze Member

ISO wider tool rest for lathe

Post by DrLarryAnderson »

ISO (In Search Of) Lathe Tool Rest wider than stock item

I have been turning some rolling pins on my Mark V lathe and I found it much harder to get the project perfectly round and even diameter for the full length of the rolling pin when I use the stock tool rest. I'm investigating to see if any other Shopsmith users have found a wider tool rest to use on the Shopsmith. My preference is around 12"

I have discovered that the post diameter is 3/4" (approx. 19 mm), but most "standard" tool rest posts are either 5/8" or 1" (Rockler).

Can any of you tell me a source where I can buy an "upgraded" tool rest that is significantly wider than the stock tool rest?

Thanks in advance,
--Dr. Larry S. Anderson • Tupelo, MS (birthplace of Elvis)
Mike907
Platinum Member

Re: ISO wider tool rest for lathe

Post by Mike907 »

Try Rick Herrell, he makes posts and rests, mostly for pen turners, but he'll make you a 12" rest and already makes a post for the Shopsmith.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/cust ... ies.92501/

Hope this helps,

Mike
DrLarryAnderson
Bronze Member

Huge thanks, Mike! I'll check that out.

I've posted a communication with Rick on the IAP forum. I really appreciate your bringing this important information to my attention.

-Larry Anderson
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

DrLarryAnderson
Bronze Member

Thanks a ton, Dennis! I'll surely check this out.

Have a super week--and make a bunch of chips/sawdust.

--Larry
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Something to consider, working at the far ends of a wider tool rest will put more strain on the arm, a part which is prone to breaking.
Try leaving the carriage unlocked so you can easily slide the tool rest from side to side.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
DrLarryAnderson
Bronze Member

Thanks, Ron. While I try to shy away from having any of the adjustments loose when I operate, I had not thought about the idea of just sliding the "carriage" from side to side. Hmmm.

I appreciate your advice and insight.

-Larry Anderson
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Posted this in the wrong thread. Shows how to make a tool rest to use on a sliding carriage.
RFGuy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:01 pm
algale wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:40 pm Somewhere on the forum I think someone showed how they made a platform that fit into the tool rest and held a lathe chisel. I think they used a length of 3/4 inch pipe with a threaded end onto which they screwed a flange. This went into the tool rest and then they clamped a lathe chisel to the flange/platform and slid the entire carriage back and forth to make a uniform cylinder.
Alan,

Do you mean this one (see below)? Boy, it seems to have gotten harder to search and find recent threads than it used to be here. In the past, it would have only taken me a minute or two to find that thread, but it took me about 10 min to find this one. I wonder if something has changed with the forum search SW in the last year...has anyone else experienced this where the search doesn't work as well now?

viewtopic.php?p=279743#p279743

viewtopic.php?p=279758#p279758
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

DrLarryAnderson
Bronze Member

Wow! What an amazing setup! I had NEVER thought of that as a possibility. But, it might be worth a try. Now, just need to source the necessary parts, build it, and give it a spin.

Thanks a ton!

--Larry Anderson • Tupelo, MS (birthplace of Elvis)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

DrLarryAnderson wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:31 pm Wow! What an amazing setup! I had NEVER thought of that as a possibility. But, it might be worth a try. Now, just need to source the necessary parts, build it, and give it a spin.

Thanks a ton!

--Larry Anderson • Tupelo, MS (birthplace of Elvis)
That's a Shopsmith turning faceplate (normally came with a new Shopsmith) and the Shopsmith tailstock arbor. Both can be sourced new from Shopsmith or used on ebay.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!