Flag Display Case, My First

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Majones1
Gold Member

Flag Display Case, My First

Post by Majones1 »

Ok, another distraction, but one I am honored to be able to do. My father-in-law died a few months ago and when we went to my mother-in-laws for Thanksgiving I saw his flag just sitting folded on a bookshelf in the den. I asked her if she would mind if I made a display case for her, and said she would love that. Now I’m trying to complete it to bring with us for Christmas at her place. Hope I can execute this project as well as it deserves to be.

Making it from some walnut boards I have for another project (this one takes precedence). Modified a simple flag display case design to add a 1” base that I will bevel the front edge so I can place a brass plate for his name and his life and military dates. Used MS Visio for the drawing, and for designing the base addition. Today I got to use the Mk 5 table saw, jointer, planer and DC-3300 to mill the boards. Tomorrow I hope to get the rest of the cuts (groove, rabbet, bevels, and final lengths) completed, sanding, and some of the gluing.

Here are some shots of the progress so far.

Drawings and cut list for this project.
Drawings and cut list for this project.
18F79209-4B7C-48C6-806B-7EF3BD2D5822.jpeg (460.9 KiB) Viewed 18847 times
The walnut boards I’m using for this case.
The walnut boards I’m using for this case.
0039E334-C82B-4E41-959D-B76277BAFDF0.jpeg (256.4 KiB) Viewed 18847 times
Boards are rough cut, ready to run through the jointer and planer.
Boards are rough cut, ready to run through the jointer and planer.
DC3E259A-0882-4E63-A39C-317D3AF6F0E0.jpeg (287.53 KiB) Viewed 18847 times
Milling complete, next is trim to size, miters, bevels, grooves, and rabbets.
Milling complete, next is trim to size, miters, bevels, grooves, and rabbets.
8B31AE92-CFE8-4AAB-AEFA-223213B79049.jpeg (161.15 KiB) Viewed 18847 times
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
DZIN
Gold Member

Re: Flag Display Case, My First

Post by DZIN »

Great start on a very worthwhile project. That's some nice walnut, too.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Yep, that walnut is really going to pop.

How are you planning to cut the 67.5 degree bevels for the bottom-corner joints? I like that look, but it can be a real challenge to get a good tight seam. So some people just bevel the ends of the bottom piece at 45 degrees, such that it joins to the inner faces of the side pieces.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

I love the walnut. I like the look of the 22.5 degree miters, so I’m planning on using the Tenon Master jig that MickyD passed on to me with my MK5. As a guide, I am using a design and instructions that I found in a free video at Woodworkers Guild of America (see link below). They show how to make a jig, but since I have the Tenon Master I assume that will work for this.

As a new woodworker I’m still afraid I will screw this up.

https://www.wwgoa.com/video/flag-case-plans-000127/
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I found some simple plans for flag display cases and made a few of them using those plans. It was very simple. I don't remember where I got the plans however I could likely find them again if needed.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Majones1 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:08 am I love the walnut. I like the look of the 22.5 degree miters, so I’m planning on using the Tenon Master jig that MickyD passed on to me with my MK5. As a guide, I am using a design and instructions that I found in a free video at Woodworkers Guild of America (see link below). They show how to make a jig, but since I have the Tenon Master I assume that will work for this.

As a new woodworker I’m still afraid I will screw this up.

https://www.wwgoa.com/video/flag-case-plans-000127/
The Tenon Master jig should work well in theory, but an acute joint like that will highlight even the slightest errors. My own Tenon Master jig isn't terribly precise. The bottom was machined poorly, and I had to do some filing to try and get it flat. Also, my Model 520 table isn't dead flat, and the table tubes have a little bit of flex (I always connect it to the extension table for critical cuts).

My advice would be to first make a prototype case from inexpensive lumber. If that goes well, you should be good to go for the final walnut cuts.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:00 am The Tenon Master jig should work well in theory, but an acute joint like that will highlight even the slightest errors. My own Tenon Master jig isn't terribly precise. The bottom was machined poorly, and I had to do some filing to try and get it flat. Also, my Model 520 table isn't dead flat, and the table tubes have a little bit of flex (I always connect it to the extension table for critical cuts).

My advice would be to first make a prototype case from inexpensive lumber. If that goes well, you should be good to go for the final walnut cuts.
+1 on most of that, and especially the prototype from less expensive lumber. (Not sure that inexpensive lumber still exists.) Miters are hard for many of us, so don't be discouraged if you find that to be true. I've been thinking about the difficulty of this joint since Dennis first brought it up. And still not sure how I'd approach it. A few things to wring your hands about:

The flex of the SS tables in what is otherwise the tilt axis, as Dennis mentioned. (I have heard more than one person say 500 (and pre-500) are worse, but have not seen that proven.) Even with a 520, stabilizing it at tilt other than 0 is always a challenge.

When using the Tenon jig for tenons the end of the workpiece normally remains in contact with the table before, during, and after the cut. I'm not sure if the standard clamp is adequate for what you're doing.

In my experience, setting the tilt angle with what I know is the precision I'd require for this project is a challenge.

The main thing I'm trying to communicate is be open minded about this. Tilt is not the Mark's strength. If it doesn't work, you know where to ask for alternatives.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Marc,

That's a nice thing you are doing for your Mother-in-law, Adding the base with a brass plate for your Father-in-law's information will make it that much more special. (pardon my grammar) A very nice personal touch.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Fodder for thy grey matter.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6285&hilit=flag+case
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Just a thought to add to the mix...maybe a 22.5 degree chamfer bit? I have used one with the speed increaser and beveled long edges for stave built boxes. If no speed increaser, it would still be possible to use in drill press mode.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser